What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I'm returning my iPad 3...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i thought that as well.
so i left my ipad on with a white screen on max brightness with auto bright off and auto lock never for about 48 hours striaght.
but the hue is still the excat same. so im at a lost of what to do now. my return date is tuesday, and today is the only day i have a chance of taking it back

You gave it your best shot. Take it back.

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first iPad 3 (on my third now) had the same issue with yellow hue on part of the screen. Except on my case it was the bottom left hand side when held in portrait position. And the screen had uneven backlighting. It was darker on the bottom 1/4 than it was on the top 3/4. Oh, and it was also darker on the left side. That screen was really a mess. It sort of looked like someone spilled coffee on the screen.

I gave it almost 2 weeks to correct itself, but it never did. Back to Target it went. When I got it on release day, I felt like I'd won the lottery. I actually was able to find a black 32 GB iPad in a Target. Now the only ones that they have are 64 GB 4G/WiFi. My third one is from Best Buy, and it's a white 64 GB WiFi only. Aside from a little bit of light leak that doesn't affect viewing the screen at all, I've found no problems with it. My 45 days with it is ticking down. We'll see what happens. If I end up bringing this one back, I'll wait a couple of months to get another. IMO, there are some flaws that Apple needs to work out of these things. And the screen seems to be problematic in quite a few cases.

Last edited:

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sent mine back too... I noticed the whole problem with the color balance as well as it being warmer than I'd prefer. I sent it back under the 14 day no questions period and used the money to replace the digitizer on my iPad 2. Probably going to just wait to get one when I can use my stipend money.

I guess I still need to fix my sig now...

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sent mine back too... I noticed the whole problem with the color balance as well as it being warmer than I'd prefer. I sent it back under the 14 day no questions period and used the money to replace the digitizer on my iPad 2. Probably going to just wait to get one when I can use my stipend money.

I guess I still need to fix my sig now...

Like you I also sent mine back for same reasons. I'm going to wait a month while other screen suppliers gear up with screens that have less yellow tint. In all other respects I really liked my iPad 3.

OP
souskei

souskei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too, I really like my iPad and REALLY wanted to love my iPad, but I couldn't.

I returned it yesterday and got an apple gift card (kinda scary with a grand on a gift card), and I'm gonna wait a few weeks maybe a month or so to get a new one.

I'm hoping the bugs will be worked out by then.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad I waited till people started reporting problems, time will tell if the new iPad will keep working right.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
Glad I waited till people started reporting problems, time will tell if the new iPad will keep working right.

I don't think you really need to worry that much mate. Out of the millions sold only a handful are complaining. And to be fair it happens with most products. I think because it's apple people and the media feel the need to voice it.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think you really need to worry that much mate. Out of the millions sold only a handful are complaining. And to be fair it happens with most products. I think because it's apple people and the media feel the need to voice it.

I waited till last November to buy my iPad2 and my Mac. Pro Notebook. Both have been great with zero problems. I just feel better not being the first to buy.

L

Lunar

I fully agree, When there is a build up prior to it's release, it's inevitable the media will will try and turn something trivial into a major drama, (it sells papers) Yes there's been a few screen issues, but anything assembled by human beings will likely have the odd problem, so there's bound to be the odd faulty unit, but when you consider over 3.5 million have been sold, only a few dozen have been reported on forums like this, and sometimes the owners will make numerious posts on the issue, which can make the numbers look worse than they really are. Nothing wrong with that, but something we should take into account.
Also you have to take out of the equation the number of immature troll posts which one also gets when new products get released, by people who for whatever reason have a dislike for certain companies, and lastly you have iPad3 owners who were completely satisfied, in that they did'nt even know they had a issue... such as..say.. light bleed is until they came on here..lol. Indeed some people had never noticed anything wrong until they read about it on forums and then went away to check their own iPad. The fact is... some of us are more fussy than others. At least with Apple, if any product has a issue they will usually sort it out quite quickly, and everyone has 2 weeks to claim their cash back... can't really be much fairer than that.

It's early days but mines been working fine for the last 2 weeks, I hope I can still say that in 2 months time, or longer

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
souskei

souskei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you ^

If you think about it.. I highly doubt even 1 percent of people who own an iPad 3 are registered to any apple related forum.

But, on the other hand, I am one of those who expect a lot from a product that claims to be the one of best (apple especially); and puts themselves in a spot where a few of their consumers will critique every inch of their purchased product.

Mostly all iPad 3 owners are more than satisfied with there iPads, even with the few annoyances it may have.
And most won't even notice a problem.

But like you said you can't expect perfection with 3.5m of these things floating around. And apple did a great job accommodating me and eventually asked no questions when I finally returned it for a gift card.

I'm just waiting now for maybe a LG screen to hit the stores to see if they're any better. I still want my iPad. I just don't want to exchange it 5 times to try to get a pristine (as apple claims their products to be) one.

L

Lunar

But like you said you can't expect perfection with 3.5m of these things floating around. And apple did a great job accommodating me and eventually asked no questions when I finally returned it for a gift card.

I note you mentioned that Apple put the refund on a gift card? could you not have insisted having the refund into your bank or credited back on your bank debit or credit card. IOW Are you saying that Apple will only refund onto one of their own gift cards if you take it back within the 2 weeks grace period..? Can the gift card only be spent in a Apple store or on their products, or anywhere..?

Regardless.. I wish you luck with your next purchase.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
souskei

souskei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I note you mentioned that Apple put the refund on a gift card? could you not have insisted having the refund into your bank or credited back on your bank debit or credit card. IOW Are you saying that Apple will only refund onto one of their own gift cards if you take it back within the 2 weeks grace period..? Can the gift card only be spent in a Apple store or on their products, or anywhere..?

Regardless.. I wish you luck with your next purchase.. :)

I actually asked for a gift card, I'm sure they would have credited my account if I wanted though.

I knew I was going to get another iPad when the second batch arrived in the states so I figured it would be easier this way.

As far as I know, you can only use the gift card at apple stores.

Oh and for future reference, Verizon can suspended (hold) your account and transfer the remaining data and account info onto a new iPad as long as you do it with 4 months. Which I thought was really cool of them.

L

Lunar

I actually asked for a gift card, I'm sure they would have credited my account if I wanted though.

I knew I was going to get another iPad when the second batch arrived in the states so I figured it would be easier this way.

As far as I know, you can only use the gift card at apple stores.

Gotcha.. thanks for clarifying.. I thought that would be the case.. but did wonder..lol

Thx again.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is called the law of large numbers. Basically if you have a big enough pool of sales you will see every probable scenario.

In addition to a certain percentage of defects, a percentage of people returned them for a sudden shift in their financial situation, a percentage of them have been returned because the owner liked one of the previous models better, a percentage of them have already been accidentally damaged, a percentage of them have been lost or stolen, unfortunately percentage of them no longer have owners because they died, and that is just naming a few of the possible outcomes with 3.5+ million sold.

IMO, worrying about defects is about the same as worrying they are cursed because some people have had something bad happen to them after buying one. Wait a minute, my house was partially destroyed because of a tornado... got to call a priest...

OP
souskei

souskei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is called the law of large numbers. Basically if you have a big enough pool of sales you will see every probable scenario.

In addition to a certain percentage of defects, a percentage of people returned them for a sudden shift in their financial situation, a percentage of them have been returned because the owner liked one of the previous models better, a percentage of them have already been accidentally damaged, a percentage of them have been lost or stolen, unfortunately percentage of them no longer have owners because they died, and that is just naming a few of the possible outcomes with 3.5+ million sold.

IMO, worrying about defects is about the same as worrying they are cursed because some people have had something bad happen to them after buying one. Wait a minute, my house was partially destroyed because of a tornado... got to call a priest...

While I totally agree with you about the law of numbers, we as consumers are given the option to exchange and return if we feel are product is less than we expected.

But worrying about purchasing a defect, small as it may be, is only human nature IMO. Especially one who is a member of a forum such as this one.

Apple gave us a pretty gracious return and exchange policy, and, although you are absolutely right about the numbers, i don't think it's a bad thing to worry about 1000 dollars you're about to drop.

Most reactions