So I'm returning my iPad 3...

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by souskei, Mar 30, 2012.

1. souskei

souskei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I know this has been mentioned a thousand times, but I can't seem to get an iPad without the yellow hue.

A friend of mine told me (an engineer for vizio if it's worth anything) says the yellow hue is caused by magnets, I don't know if it's because I have a Verizon 4g Verizon or not (64gb)

I'm on my 5th iPad (I know i know, I'm a little anal) but I feel spending close to a grand on something its gotta be perfect right? Especially from apple.

The first 2 had light leakage and dead pixels and yellow hue the last 3 had yellow hues. I've kept them all for a week or so trying to see if the yellow dissipates a little with no luck.

So I'm returning it this time for a gift card and hopefully I can purchase one in a few weeks with all the bug worked out.. And I'll take the hit on the 50 bucks I spent on Verizon's 5gb plan.

What do I guys think?
    Thanks.
  2. jasmynsway

jasmynsway iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I don't have iPad yellow tint, so I'm curious. How does it impact the use of the iPad? Or is it the color only that you don't like and feel you can't get used to?
  3. Daylife

Daylife iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Lol..... Again and again.
  4. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    What a bummer:( you need to be happy with your purchase. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with mine (32gb wifi) but if I were spending close to a grand, I would want it to be perfect. Like you said, you may be a bit anal but oh well! Good luck and I hope you finally get lucky and buy one with no flaws.
  5. souskei

souskei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's function is perfect, and Ignoring the yellow hue, the screens beautiful.

But put it this way, what if u spent 850 dollars on a set of tires for your shinny waxed up car only to find out one has a hole in the side wall? Sure, they probably could patch it up and it would work and you could get use to it, but why wouldn't you ask for a replacement? wouldn't it bother you a little knowing you have a patched up tire?

The yellow hue is on the top right portion of my screen. If it was uniform, maybe I could get used to it. But it's really obvious I have a problem. And it's something I can't get used to.
    and I envy you won the apple iPad 3 lotto :)
  6. augustya

augustya iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    lol ! Apple-3 Lotto ! But Agree, It is a Lotto !
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,384 / 1
    Don't forget to cancel the data plan before returning the iPad. They auto renew. At least they do in th U.S.
  8. souskei

souskei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh question,

The last time I went to exchange my iPad, I got a "brown box" iPad (refurb?)..
    I don't know how this works now that I want to return it.

The serial numbers I assume are different now on my receipt and the brown box IPad they gave me.

Is there some sort of record that they keep to know that this iPad still belongs to me? And it's all legit?

I just don't want to run into problems when I go to return tomorrow. my return date on my receipt is April 5th so I assume they'll take it back with no questions asked, or at least I hope so. I get the feeling theyre getting sick of me coming back and thinking I'm crazy.
  9. zphone

zphone iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    It's a lotto in the same way as dying in a car accident is a lotto. It doesn't happen to many people, but when it does it sure ruins your day.
  10. jasmynsway

jasmynsway iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Good to know. I thought the whole screen was yellow, not just the corner. That does suck. Plan to give it another try in a while or are you waiting on the iPad 4?
  11. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    No issues with yellow hue on mine or dead pixels.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  12. Sweetchinmusic

Sweetchinmusic iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Lol lucky you, you get to unbox 5 iPad 3, how many of us can say we did that....
  13. wholesalestunna

wholesalestunna iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And I was proud of my one lol
  14. marvso

marvso iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My iPad 3 had a slight yellow hue for the first day and a half. This is normal. It's been said the screen has to burn in a little. It's absolutely stunning now. Make sure you use it for a few days before you return it. It's likely to clear up.
  15. souskei

souskei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i thought that as well.
    so i left my ipad on with a white screen on max brightness with auto bright off and auto lock never for about 48 hours striaght.
    but the hue is still the excat same. so im at a lost of what to do now. my return date is tuesday, and today is the only day i have a chance of taking it back
  16. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    You gave it your best shot. Take it back.
  17. cookeys

cookeys iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first iPad 3 (on my third now) had the same issue with yellow hue on part of the screen. Except on my case it was the bottom left hand side when held in portrait position. And the screen had uneven backlighting. It was darker on the bottom 1/4 than it was on the top 3/4. Oh, and it was also darker on the left side. That screen was really a mess. It sort of looked like someone spilled coffee on the screen.

I gave it almost 2 weeks to correct itself, but it never did. Back to Target it went. When I got it on release day, I felt like I'd won the lottery. I actually was able to find a black 32 GB iPad in a Target. Now the only ones that they have are 64 GB 4G/WiFi. My third one is from Best Buy, and it's a white 64 GB WiFi only. Aside from a little bit of light leak that doesn't affect viewing the screen at all, I've found no problems with it. My 45 days with it is ticking down. We'll see what happens. If I end up bringing this one back, I'll wait a couple of months to get another. IMO, there are some flaws that Apple needs to work out of these things. And the screen seems to be problematic in quite a few cases.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. jawa6306

jawa6306 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I sent mine back too... I noticed the whole problem with the color balance as well as it being warmer than I'd prefer. I sent it back under the 14 day no questions period and used the money to replace the digitizer on my iPad 2. Probably going to just wait to get one when I can use my stipend money.

I guess I still need to fix my sig now...
  19. dp118

dp118 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Like you I also sent mine back for same reasons. I'm going to wait a month while other screen suppliers gear up with screens that have less yellow tint. In all other respects I really liked my iPad 3.
  20. souskei

souskei iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Me too, I really like my iPad and REALLY wanted to love my iPad, but I couldn't.

I returned it yesterday and got an apple gift card (kinda scary with a grand on a gift card), and I'm gonna wait a few weeks maybe a month or so to get a new one.

I'm hoping the bugs will be worked out by then.