What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I just got an iPad 2...

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...And I already have a (tethered jailbreak iOS 5) iPad 1. Now I know how to transfer all my app data and files and such to a new iPad 2 (via iTunes backup), but I was wondering if the iPad 1 being jailbroken would affect anything?

tl;dr: Transferring JB iPad 1 to non-JB iPad 2 via iTunes: Safe and OK?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. That's an interesting question - which I don't really know the answer to.

My gut instinct is to say: Sure, no problem! iTunes only looks for and controls stock stuff, nothing with Cydia/jail break. So, it should be a relatively easy thing to hook the iPad2 up to iTunes and then do a "restore from [the iPad1's] backup" That way, your iPad2 will be a mirror of the iPad1, except, of course, it won't be jail broken.

It can't really cause any harm. If the "restore from backup" doesn't take on the iPad2, you can just start all over again, this time by manually setting it up. So, really, from what I can tell, won't hurt to try.

But, that's me - I'd try it. :D If you do it that way, please let us know how it goes. Cause, now I'm curious...

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm only worried because I don't really know what exactly the backup backs up. From the video I watched, the way it told me to transfer was by making a backup of the iPad 1 and then basically applying that backup to the new iPad 2. Does it just back up apps/music/videos/app data etc, and not the firmware/iOS? If so, it should be fine.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I know that you can install backups onto iPads that are running different versions, so there's no reason why this wouldn't work.

As far as I understand backups, iTunes IS only doing work on apps/music/videos/app data, etc.

And, that's all you're doing. You won't be messing with the iPad1 at all, so there's no risk of mucking up the jail break. And, if putting the backup onto the iPad2 makes the iPad2 misbehave, all you have to do is restore it and put a fresh iOS 5.0.1 version on it. You can't "brick" it.

Now, I'm really wondering if it'll work. I don't know why it won't. Now I'm thinking: My mom's iPad2 is on iOS 5.0.1, stock and my iPad1 is on iOS 5.0.1, jail broke. If I can pry it from her hands :)D), maybe I'll try it. Why not? It can always be restored from HER backup... Hmmmm. :D

Marilyn

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'd try it now but the iPad 2 is already set up (I'm actually going to exchange it tomorrow, grandma got the WiFi version when she meant to get the 3G model), can you do the whole "set up from backup" thing after doing a factory reset?

Trying to factory reset now, waiting for iOS 5.0.1 to download...

EDIT: It works!

Backed up my JB iPad 1, and then factory reset the iPad 2, applied the iPad 1 backup to it, and it worked, somewhat. It didn't transfer over any music or videos or apps, but it DID transfer photos and app data. I downloaded Notes Plus and opened it, and bam, it had all my previous notes in there, and even remembered what page I left off on.

The reason it didn't transfer over any music or apps or videos is because my iPad 1 is technically synced to another computer (it brought up that warning message), it's synced to the iTunes on my HDD, and I just got a brand new SSD and thus, I'm using a new Windows installation, and thus, a different iTunes.

So...yeah, I guess it works. Yay.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kewl! Very nice "neat to know" info. Thanks for being the tester on this. Oh, and for updating us on the results.

Cause, you never know, right?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts