What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Since update ipad cannot connect to itunes unless update that also But cannot - Help

globalmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I recently plugged in ipad to my Macbook pro 3.1 (2007) running 10.8.2 - and get message cannot use ipad as need to update to Itunes 11.1 -however this I cannot do - I tried 3 update to Mavericks , update just itunes and just yesterday again updated Itunes and these all FREEZE computer totally , I spent Days trying to work out what Caused the Freeze and trying every fix out there and only thing worked was Format HDD and install from Backup (timemachine or cloned HDD i have Backups) .So the Computer Freezes Immediately After Startup in normal and safe mode if I put on Mavericks and OR itunes higher then what I got now (11.02 )Now this is not a Problem for the computer - just turn off updates and I am happy , But now cannot use ipad , I have music , books, lots stuff sync from itunes .Does anyone know how I can use Ipad3 (fully updated ) -with Itunes without updating Itunes - or maybe roll back Ipad system so can use ??I had a google but could not find answer - everyone says update itunes on Computer which is one thing I cannot do . So either I need to do a Update to Mavericks or just Itunes or something so can use ipad again ? Any ideas appriciated as i cannot be only person with this Problem as Computer freezing with new itunes common ?? Thanks Mark

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mark - your discussion is rather confusing due to the numerous questions (problems) being asked - sorry. Let me try to make a list w/ comments from my understanding so that you can confirm exactly what is happening and what you are trying to do:

1. Macbook Pro 2007 vintage - 'ancient' machine (computers last like 'dog years') - have you checked compatibility (model/RAM/free disk space, etc.) w/ nthe installation needs of Mavericks? I don't know but from the attachment below (click to enlarge), you MBPro seems on the edge of being obsolete? BTW - source HERE - take a look.

2. Also appears that you have tried to 're-install' the OS & other data on your computer from backups - correct? And if so, the process did not go well? I suspect that you first have to get the machine back in operating order or obtain a 'new' one if you indeed need the most recent version of iTunes to communicate w/ you iPad. Since this is an iPad dedicated forum and if not already a member, I would suggest joining a Mac forum - the one I use the most is Mac Forums - a LOT of expert mods there who can help w/ the MBPro.

3. Do you have your computer's personal data (i.e. your music, photos, docs, etc.) 'safely' on an external backup? Obviously this is what you have spent the most time gathering & organizing.

4. Does your iPad work at the moment? Are you using iCloud? If not, you should be able to 'backup' your iPad to the cloud - look HERE - at least will provide a secondary backup until you get a computer working? Good luck - Dave :)

MavericksUpgrade.png

OP
G

globalmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave

1.thanks for the reply - According to the specs i should be able to run Mavericks as cover everything thats needed , i would love to buy a new computer but there is nothing wrong with this one , just apple software not working when update ipad and not computer is problem..

2. sorry if my post is bit confusing hard to explain , - my mac book pro works perfectly and using it now on 10.8.2 - i only get problems if update it ( to either Mavericks or just update itunes) , i think it's itunes causing the freezing problem. - I have full backups and have no problem getting my mac back to operating order ever ..

ipad works fine - just need to plug into itunes to change music, books, etc which is what i cannot do as i have itunes 11.0.2 and ipad is fully updated and seems ipad is not compatiable with a 6 month old itunes
I dont need to back up ipad as have everything on Computer and ext HDD.. but need it to work with itunes . I am on 5 mac forums but no replies in a week thats why trying ipad forum now ..
cheers Mark

Most reactions

Latest posts