What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheet music

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for an app to store &display sheet music. Any suggestions? Will good reader be able to do it for me?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There many apps for displaying sheet music

The easiest way to see a list of developers offered is

Google "iPad sheet music app" and you'll see a whole range of apps.

Also, if you watched the Apple video that Steve gave at the iPad2 announcement, then you'll have seen an app demonstrated there too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...you guys are so helpful...I found a few apps but then you pointed out good reader & I thought that might be all I need...just syncing & storing &displaying PDF files....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...you guys are so helpful...I found a few apps but then you pointed out good reader & I thought that might be all I need...just syncing & storing &displaying PDF files....

If you just want to display sheet music in PDF format then even the iPad's in-built iBooks app will do that - and you get the neat page turning 'flick' gesture supported. GoodReader can read and import PDF too.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
As was already mentioned, simple PDF readers do the job, but at least for me they don't work when playing piano, for reasons what they are missing, see below:

Here are a few apps I have used for displaying sheet music :
-Medley. It has the single best page-turn off any PDF reader. Basically what is does is, when you tap to switch page, it does not switch instantly, but instead scrolls the next page starting from the top. So you can still finish playing on the last page while seeing the upcoming notes. You can set it, so that a single touch on the left half turns left and a single tap on the right half turns right. My personal favorite for displaying sheet music.

-forScore. Widely used for it's additional features and ease of PDF import, it has an inbuilt browser to import any notes directly from a website. However, it has a simple page turn, I.e. the whole page swaps instantaneously.

-SymphonyPro. More of a sheet music composing app, but it also displays sheet music and has MIDI support, so it can play the notes. It also highlights the notes it currently plays, so for learning a new piece this is really helpful. Downside: Page-turn via swipe, and also instant page turn. The other thing to consider is, that it requires the notes to be available in MIDI format and currently the only import method is via entering a URL which often does not work. So while this in theory is a great app for learning new music, it is not polished, yet. A update was supposed to be released a few days ago, so it will be here anytime soon and allow for better importing.

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you add notes and/or highlighting on Medley? Can you import any PDF files?

I actually use chord charts as I'm not a sight reader....I cheat. I have hundreds of songs in Word format.

Reaction score
Lizard king said:
Can you add notes and/or highlighting on Medley? Can you import any PDF files?

I actually use chord charts as I'm not a sight reader....I cheat. I have hundreds of songs in Word format.

Medley is a sheet music reader, this is it's core and does not have any other features, besides turning pages. So no, there is no highlighting. If you need more features, take a look at forScore.

Regarding imports, Medley can open any PDF file, this has to be done either via iTunes, or when downloading the PDF directly to the iPad via 'open in'.

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again...I was looking at forScore...might be the one as most of my songs are single sheets

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ForScore should do the trick for you. You can add hiliting, import PDFs and even set a metronome (muted so you can't hear it) so the app knows when to turn your page. If there's symbols you need to write into your sheets regularly, you can set it up to add them in 1 tap. I have tried music notes, good reader, symphonypro, and a couple of others. Symphony pro can't import PDFs. They have to be midi, but it is the best for entering music notes. I would suspect based on your replies that forScore is the way to go. GL.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use forScore as well - does everything I need out of a score reader, including bookmarking, annotation, metronome and high-lighting.

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep...picked up for score over the weekend...as soon as I figure out the page turning gesture...

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can swipe or single tap. I went into the settings and set it to swipe only since bringing up the menu is a double tap. It was giving me some issues, but setting page turns to swipe fixed it.

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems when I have the page expanded a bit to see better, page turning is impeded.

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in the metadata for each file, you can set the zoom to keep the page as large as possible without having to manually zoom in every time. If you set it up that way, should be no problems turning pages.

Most reactions

Latest posts