What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shall i update or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, shall some advice me the new release update of iOS 7 version now some bug fixing shall I.

Grinandbearit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether to apply this latest patch as well. I will give it a week and see what everyone has to say about it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether to apply this latest patch as well. I will give it a week and see what everyone has to say about it.

Well, I suspect that many of us have already done the iOS 7.0.3 update - details from Apple Support quoted below - there are a number of 'important' issues, such as 'bypassing the lock screen passcode' - BTW, I updated my device last night & my wife's Mini this morning - no noticeable problems, but does take a little time and obviously a reboot - good luck! Dave :)

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
  • Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
  • Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
  • Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use
  • Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
  • Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
  • Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
  • Improves system stability when using iWork apps
  • Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
  • Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
  • Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
  • Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
  • Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
  • Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
  • Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software

Grinandbearit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I did see all of that info on the update. I still prefer to wait and be sure there are no problems. I've rushed into updates before, on my phone and ipad, only to regret it later.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I did see all of that info on the update. I still prefer to wait and be sure there are no problems. I've rushed into updates before, on my phone and ipad, only to regret it later.

I'm updating based on all the changes shown. Once it's done, it's done. After all, there's the iPad Air to help me over any disappointments...

Now I need to find out what I'll get for my iPad 3rd Gen. 64 GB wi-fi , cellular Verizon on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I done as I m not in use of ipad as much I did not find any problem. By the way rebooting is to press home and on/off buttons together.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I updated my iPads and iPhones yesterday and haven't seen any problems - I use my iPad 4 for a desktop computer so it gets a lot of work all day. The only real UI change that I have seen is that the fly in/out animations are significantly reduced if you have Reduce Motion enabled - the animations are a subtle fade as opposed to the previous fly in/out animations. I'm quite happy with the update.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I done as I m not in use of ipad as much I did not find any problem. By the way rebooting is to press home and on/off buttons together.
Reset/reboot is press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

j2dawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 took such a performance hit that I'm searching for a used one with ios 6 to replace it. Yes, I've done all the resets including back to factory state and restore. The update did ok on my iPhone 5 but really screwed my iPad.

Grinandbearit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 took such a performance hit that I'm searching for a used one with ios 6 to replace it. Yes, I've done all the resets including back to factory state and restore. The update did ok on my iPhone 5 but really screwed my iPad.

Are you talking about the main update before this smaller one? Also, how did it screw up your ipad? I have an ipad 2, so I am very interested.

j2dawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about the main update before this smaller one? Also, how did it screw up your ipad? I have an ipad 2, so I am very interested.
I'm talking about the main update, I see no difference after the minor fixes.

My touch screen sensitivity is now terrible, I have to tap multiple times to get a result
After seeing a response, like a button changing color, it takes a second or more to see the result.
Safari is slow to do most anything, like load a page, display a picture.
Facebook is slow, tap a picture to expand it and it takes a long time to expand, tap "Done" and it takes up to 2-3 seconds to collapse.

None of this behavior showed before the update to IOS 7. These are a few of the defects on my iPad 2, not the things I simply don't like about the update.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the main update, I see no difference after the minor fixes.

My touch screen sensitivity is now terrible, I have to tap multiple times to get a result
After seeing a response, like a button changing color, it takes a second or more to see the result. I have an iPad 2 and my touch screen has slowed down a little with this new update. However, I wouldn't say it is "terrible" as you have stated. My guess is that this update along with the iPad 2 being an older device will show some lag over time. Very similar to owning a windows desktop for several years. To me, it's just an acceptable progression with the advances in technolgy.

Safari is slow to do most anything, like load a page, display a picture.
Have you done the closing the app as you have been advised to earlier? Also, having too many apps open along with too many safari tabs can effect the performance of loading. I have noted this and done the fixes. I have even reset my network which has helped significantly.

Facebook is slow, tap a picture to expand it and it takes a long time to expand, tap "Done" and it takes up to 2-3 seconds to collapse.

Facebook has always been slow. Hard to blame ios 7, but the app itself. I tend to use the web version with good success.

None of this behavior showed before the update to IOS 7. These are a few of the defects on my iPad 2, not the things I simply don't like about the update.

I'd like to make a few comments to your post related to iPad 2 and the iOS 7 update...see in blue.

j2dawson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to make a few comments to your post related to iPad 2 and the iOS 7 update...see in blue.
I'd like to respond the same way but I don't know how to quote your responses so I'll do what I can. The iPad 2's performance will not slow simply because the device ages, it is because the operating system outgrew the hardware. If this is the case, I should have been warned prior to updating or been given a path to revert back to what works. Your example of Windows is ok, but minimum hardware recommendations are always given to assure best performance (and a path back).

Yes, I have closed all apps and tried full reset to out-of-the-box state and restore. Maybe my iPad simply decided to fail at the same time I updated the OS, doubtful but possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying them all as I see them. I can't believe Apple intended to release an update that knowingly resulted in a decrease in performance, but if folks acknowledge the same performance hits that I have and accept it as ok then I guess maybe they can.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to respond the same way but I don't know how to quote your responses so I'll do what I can. The iPad 2's performance will not slow simply because the device ages, it is because the operating system outgrew the hardware. If this is the case, I should have been warned prior to updating or been given a path to revert back to what works. Your example of Windows is ok, but minimum hardware recommendations are always given to assure best performance (and a path back).

Yes, I have closed all apps and tried full reset to out-of-the-box state and restore. Maybe my iPad simply decided to fail at the same time I updated the OS, doubtful but possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying them all as I see them. I can't believe Apple intended to release an update that knowingly resulted in a decrease in performance, but if folks acknowledge the same performance hits that I have and accept it as ok then I guess maybe they can.

That's exactly what I meant. Our iPad 2s are old based on it's making/internal hardware.

I am not going to argue with you, however, if the iPad 2 WASN'T part of the iOS 7 update--would you have complained because of that? I believe we would have members reporting their dissatisfaction of being "left out" of the latest update.

And thanks for saying that my example of windows was "ok," however, your request that Apple should have warned us is just simply wrong. I never recalled Windows warning us about updates that could have slow our machine down--never!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts