1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Restore will bring it back to Factory delivered condition ??

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Mahmud57, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I purchased the iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.3. Then I installed many applications and data, also upgrade it to iOS 5.
    I sync. It with iTune of my laptop many times. Now if I Restore my iPad with iTune (not sync.) shall it go back to my last sync. Condition or shall go back to default factory settings (iOS 4.3.3 with default applications) ? Please advise.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    No, restoring your iPad will bring it back to the latest iOS version Apple is signing. In this case, it will be the iOS 5 you have.

We say "like new from the box" and "factory condition" to emphasize that the iPad will have none of your personal data (or apps) on it after a restore. You'll have to re-load everything back on it - or restore from backup.

Hope that reassures.

Marilyn
  3. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks. But for Apps and data where I will find out the option Restore from Backup ?
    I saw only one Restore button in iTune. Or do I have to push the Sync button ?
  4. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    If you select "Restore" in iTunes, it will begin the process of restoring. You'll have a bit of a wait...

Then, when it's finished restoring, iTunes will prompt you to either restore from new or from backup. At that time, you pick the restore option you want.

As a side note/warning - make sure you've done a back-up before you start any restore ... if you want a new one. It's just easier/best to have a newer backup, versus one that's a couple of days/weeks/months old.

There also is an option to "restore from backup," which is different than what I described above. With the iPad connected to iTunes, if you right click on the iPad line (in the left column), you will find an option to restore from backup. I've never tried a restore that way, so I can't tell you how it works. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
  5. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did not find any button for backup in iTune but every time it shows 'Backing up' when I push the sync button.
    Is it the backup method ?
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    If you right click on the iPad under the Devices list in iTunes you will find both the backup and the restore from backup options.

If all you want is to recover lost application data, you can do a restore from backup without first restoring the iPad. Hold in mind you'll lose any changes in that data from before that backup was made. This will not remove apps (though it has been known to occasionally re-arrainge them on the home screen)

Unless you have iOS 5, and changed your backup options to iCloud, the iPad will backup every time it syncs. iTunes only keeps one backup, so if you've synced synced you lost your app data, it is already overwritten.
  7. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks Poet. I have iOS5. Do I need to Backup or Sync periodically ? Or Sync is enough as it performs the Backup in the time of Sync procedure ?
  8. luvmac

luvmac iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i believe so.. thats what restore mean right??
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    As long as you are not using iCloud to backup, a backup is done every time you sync. It is sometimes a good idea to go into iTunes Preferences, the Devices Tab and prevent the auto launch and syncing. You do this when you want to restore the iPad from a previous backup without the risk of overwriting that backup.

If you do backups on your computer (and you should) make sure the backup folder is included. That way you will have a history of backups you can restore to the computer to use to restore the iPad.

iTunes: About iOS backups
  10. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello Poet, can you explain a little more how to make the Backup with different history ?
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    It depends on your backup method.

First you check out the About iOS Backups link I provided and make sure your backup software includes the backup directory.

I use the built in Time Machine backup software for my iMac. I don't have it tuned on, so I do my backups manually, but every time I do a backup it saves this file, among others. Time Machine creates a series of backups for each file and it's changes. That means I can restore that file from any when; between my first backup of the iPad when I bought it several months ago, to yesterday, the last time I backed up the computer.

Backup software you have may work this way, or differently. If you don't have backup software, be sure to read what it will do, and reviews on how reliable it is, before you purchase.

It's also a good idea to occasionally restore a file, just to make sure backups are working and that you know how to do it.

A manual backup for Time Machine is pretty simple. It's in the menu bar, so all it do is pull down a menu and tell it to backup. I keep two re-occuring reminders (with alerts) in the Calendar to make sure I don't go more than a few days without a backup. As seldom as I change important files, I consider this adequate. Other users may need more or less frequent backups depending on the importance and how often they make changes.

My backups go onto a fairly cheap (but good reliability reviews) 1TB external hard drive.
  12. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, now it is clear
  13. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    Glad to help.
  14. carbrad

carbrad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do I find my older backups on a pc or is overwritten already? I tunes just shows todays and two days ago. I need one from several back ups ago. Also can you restore just one app or do you have to restore the whole device?
  15. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    Unfortunately, iTunes only saves one backup. It does overwrite the older ones. You have to go to the backup location on your computer and copy/paste each new backup somewhere else if you want to save different versions yourself.

And yes, with iTunes, it's an "all or nothing" backup.

Not good news, sorry, but I hope still useful.

Marilyn
  16. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does any body can tell me what is the location of Backup file of iTune in the Pc ?
  17. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    iTunes places the backup files in the following places:
    • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    More here:

iTunes: About iOS backups
  18. Mahmud57

Mahmud57 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, got it.