What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up new iPad 2 Noob question

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad 2 will hopefully arrive tomorrow (sitting now at FedEx depot at Dulles Airport). I have an iPod 3G touch and have two questions:

Will most of my iPod Apps (the ones iPad compatible) and data (photos, music, podcasts, etc.) transfer to the iPad?

and

If I download some iPad Apps now (before I can sync the iPad) will they transfer?

Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi David - welcome to the forum! :) I'm in Winston-Salem, NC - we vacation in your area at least once a year (different places, of course).

For myself, I have iTunes on my Vista laptop w/ my iPod Touch (2G) & iPad 2 both synced - there are a number of options in syncing these different devices, so be careful regarding how you setup up iTunes once your iPad arrives.

Transferring your photos, music, etc. should not be a problem; however, apps will need to be considered individually - I have several iPod Touch apps on my iPad - there is no iPad version, so these show up as a smaller image on the iPad screen; now there is a 2x button to enlarge the image but the resolution deteriorates. Also, you'll need to understand 'Universal' app offerings, i.e. apps which can run in standard fashion on a number of different Apple devices - CHECK HERE for further information.

Concerning downloading iPad Apps, you can certainly transfer them from your computer once purchased or wait and download directly to the iPad (a sync later will put them into iTunes) - hope this helps, good luck, and let us know about your initial experience - also, please return if further questions arise!

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the universal apps, didn't know that. I will check the iPod apps to see how they look on the iPad. Will probably download some of the basic free iPad apps today so they will be ready for syncing when the iPad arrives. After reading lots of comments about buying an iPad, I wonder if I should have gotten the new one. Price was an issue however and I think that $349 for a refurb iPad 2 is the best deal for me. After much back-and-forth and playing with the two models at Best Buy and the Apple Store, I think (hope) I made the correct choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts