What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do you tranfer text files etc??

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a PC tech & have never owned a mac product other than my 10 year old daughter's ipod touch.

I have a 64 gig 3G/WiFi ipad 2 on order but haven't received it yet (shipping April 26th). I have the latest version of itunes installed in my LAN at home & I have used it extensively to transfer music & ripped movies etc to the touch, but I'm wondering what the easiest way to transfer other stuff like word docs, PP files etc. to the ipad 2 memory??

~John

Reaction score
Goodreader makes it easy to copy files onto your iPad, there are 3 ways
-via a browser, but only one file can be transferred at a time
-Goodreader program, it let's you move files/folders directly onto the Goodreader app from the program. It essentially let's you use the iPad as a USB drive, when the iPad is connected via USB to the PC
-set up Goodreader as a network drive. This is my preferred method, as it lets you copy/move files/folders over Wifi onto the iPad

On Windows 7, this can be done as followed. (Instead of browsing to the folder, add the IP address Goodreader shows when you open Wifi-Transfer)
www.itechtalk.com/thread3673.html

Madchiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I am a PC tech & have never owned a mac product other than my 10 year old daughter's ipod touch.

I have a 64 gig 3G/WiFi ipad 2 on order but haven't received it yet (shipping April 26th). I have the latest version of itunes installed in my LAN at home & I have used it extensively to transfer music & ripped movies etc to the touch, but I'm wondering what the easiest way to transfer other stuff like word docs, PP files etc. to the ipad 2 memory??

~John

I personally use Dropbox. It is cross platform for both Mac and pc. You get the desktop version from their site, and the iPad client from the app store. It's easy and free.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I prefer the previous methods myself, but just to be complete, you can also use iTunes. On the page where you set up you sync preferences for apps there is a file share section. This can be used to move documents in and out of most apps that support them.

Madchiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to check out good reader. I keep seeing it come up. Cheers!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll have to check out good reader. I keep seeing it come up. Cheers!

You'll be even more pleased to find out you can copy files to and from your DropBox account using it. It will also access iDisk, Google Docs, SugarSync, box.net, and generically IMAP, POP3, WebDAV, FTP and SFTP servers.

I was curious about what it would do with a mail server, so I set up my me.com account. You only see emails that have attachments, and only download the attachments. But that's pretty cool, and potentially useful.

I learned something today. Time to take a break. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts