What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Calibration (Ipad1)

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've begun to notice that my screen isn't as responsive to tappings, as it once was (especially near the perimeter). I have searched through the 'Settings' menu, but could find nothing on screen calibrating. I am sure that there MUST be a way in which to achieve this. Is there?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've begun to notice that my screen isn't as responsive to tappings, as it once was (especially near the perimeter). I have searched through the 'Settings' menu, but could find nothing on screen calibrating. I am sure that there MUST be a way in which to achieve this. Is there?

I have often wondered about this myself - but there is no way to calibrate a (non-jailbroken) iPad screen. The lack of response to 'touch' can be a CPU response issue - i.e. the iPad's processor is tied up doing something and simply doesn't register the input from the touch screen controller IC (silicon chip) that's responsible for managing and controlling the touch screen.

Like several other 'issues' I've found that a complete 'off-on' power cycle (i.e. completely switching off, not just putting to sleep) often 'revitalises' the iPad - clearly recycling the iPad power gets to parts of the iPad that other methods cannot touch....

Tim
Scotland

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have often wondered about this myself - but there is no way to calibrate a (non-jailbroken) iPad screen. The lack of response to 'touch' can be a CPU response issue - i.e. the iPad's processor is tied up doing something and simply doesn't register the input from the touch screen controller IC (silicon chip) that's responsible for managing and controlling the touch screen.

Like several other 'issues' I've found that a complete 'off-on' power cycle (i.e. completely switching off, not just putting to sleep) often 'revitalises' the iPad - clearly recycling the iPad power gets to parts of the iPad that other methods cannot touch....

Tim
Scotland

Thanks Tim.

Why a screen calibrating feature was NOT implemented, in the IPad, is something that flies above my understanding. It would seem (at least to me) that such a feature would have certainly been given residence in the 'Settings' menu.

I always perform a full shut down before setting the iPad aside, for the night, but I am wondering if you were suggesting performing that action on a more frequent basis. Maybe I will give that a shot.

Lastly, I have to say that jail-breaking my device is surely beginning to look even more appetizing :).

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple recommend a complete shut-down once a week.

Not sure why there was no screen calibration included. Maybe we'll get some more responses throughout the day. The Forum's resident iPad expert twerppoet knows everything there is to know about the iPad, but he's on the East Coast of the USA, I believe so, if he's any sense, he's tucked up in bed....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
West coast, and I should still be asleep.

I don't really know anything about calibrating the screen, but if I had to guess I'd say it isn't something that needs to be done with the newer touch screen technology. While it was common on the old resistive screens, like Palm PDAs, I can't think of any capcitive touch sceen device that has a calibration mode. That includes my Droid X.

It might even be as simple as why bother. It isn't like you can achieve pixel point accuracy with capacitive screens anyway.

Any way, last post for the night.

P.S. Believe me, I'm no expert. Just a guy with to much free time on my hands and a near compulsive need to answer a question once it has been asked.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts