What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving 3g time

jrowlings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad newcomer (but several years of iphones before going android for mobile). I had to get the 3g today with verizon (felt lucky to get a pad at all!) and got the 3GB plan. I can cancel in a month if I want. Question... in order to save data for when I really need it... and since I have wifi in most of my regular locations... when I turn on the wifi, the verizon bars are still showing... am I using data? Is there data transmitting in or out in the background ever? Thanks.

Megadesertdiesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on keeping mine in airplane mode with the wifi turned on. When wifi is not available I will turn off the airplane mode which will turn on the 3G.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turning of WiFi only turns off WiFi. To turn off 3G go into Settings >> Cellular Data, and flip the Cellular Data switch off. To turn off both, go into AirPlane mode in Settings.

thedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As info. I stood in line at best buy yesterday and hey gave out order cards for each person in order to secure the model they wanted. When they got to me they only had me down for a Verizon 3G. I had read the specs and even tho I wasn't going to activate 3G (I only wanted it for the built in GPS chipset) I still preferred the AT&T. But as it turns out when I got in the store they didn't even have the White Ipad 32GB on either carrier. But today when they called me back with the apology and to tell me they got a 32 GB White 3G in with my name on it, I was happy when I found out it was AT&T. I didn't do any activations. I see the AT&T bars on it. I got a few messages before I hooked up to my Verizon MiFi and my home Wifi about "Would you like to activate 3G". But I know for a fact that walking outside with my miff sitting stationary a few feet away, I can walk and see my ipad move on the map. The 3G gives excellent location services. Either GPS or Cell Towers adding a bit more to the location feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts