1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Satelite Internet

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by chado100, Aug 14, 2012.

1. chado100

chado100 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi every1.
    This is my first post.
    I do a lot of fishing sometimes 200nm out to sea.
    I would like to get Internet out there so I can Skype and email maybe even surf the net.
    I have just been told I have a heart disease and instead of having a sat phone I thought it would be a better option to use my iPad can any1 tell me if this can be done.
    Thanks in advance
    Chad
  2. RodC

RodC iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I would say the Iridium OpenPort network is your closest bet. Could be costly, seems they offer the marine receiver and modem in pair. Then I would imagine it is simple to connect to a WiFi transmitter for your boat.

Edit: I just checked the prices. Skype calls could get pretty salty at 2K a month + 5K initially for the equipment. Have fun! ;)
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. iDuffer

iDuffer iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Cellular won't work at those distances from the shore.

At those prices it might be worth looking into short term sat phone rental. I have seen Sat phones for rent at £20UKP a day (with £2000 returnable deposit) data prices were ~£6 a megabyte so watch-out.

Sort of off-topic, you could however receive weather maps with your ipad, you will need a shortwave radio and an app called HF Weather Fax from Blackcat Systems.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012