What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Satelite Internet

chado100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi every1.
This is my first post.
I do a lot of fishing sometimes 200nm out to sea.
I would like to get Internet out there so I can Skype and email maybe even surf the net.
I have just been told I have a heart disease and instead of having a sat phone I thought it would be a better option to use my iPad can any1 tell me if this can be done.
Thanks in advance
Chad

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say the Iridium OpenPort network is your closest bet. Could be costly, seems they offer the marine receiver and modem in pair. Then I would imagine it is simple to connect to a WiFi transmitter for your boat.

Edit: I just checked the prices. Skype calls could get pretty salty at 2K a month + 5K initially for the equipment. Have fun! ;)

Last edited:

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cellular won't work at those distances from the shore.

At those prices it might be worth looking into short term sat phone rental. I have seen Sat phones for rent at £20UKP a day (with £2000 returnable deposit) data prices were ~£6 a megabyte so watch-out.

Sort of off-topic, you could however receive weather maps with your ipad, you will need a shortwave radio and an app called HF Weather Fax from Blackcat Systems.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts