What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any way to connect to internet with out using any wifi connection.

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I am a new iPad user. Most of the time I use it for surfing net. But the problem is WI-FI is not always available every where. I do travel a lot. So is there any other way to get connect to internet with out WIFI. If there any other way please let me know. Thanks in advance :D

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dreamerdonkey said:
Okay, I am a new iPad user. Most of the time I use it for surfing net. But the problem is WI-FI is not always available every where. I do travel a lot. So is there any other way to get connect to internet with out WIFI. If there any other way please let me know. Thanks in advance :D

If you have a WiFi only iPad, the only way to connect to the Internet is via WiFi. If you tether to a personal hotspot form a device capable of generating one, you can connect to the hotpot with WiFi or bluetooth. If you have a WiFi + cellular iPad, you can connect to the Internet with WiFi or a cellular data connection.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is my iPad is WiFi only. And I was mention earlier I travel a lot and bus and trains don't have any WiFi hot spot. So I was thinking is any other way. Is there any device which can give me cellular data connection. Because there are lots of that kind of device are available for android. So if any please let me know. And by the way thanks for reply. :D

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I carry around a Sprint hotspot to create wifi.

Merely the observations of an observer

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dreamerdonkey said:
The problem is my iPad is WiFi only. And I was mention earlier I travel a lot and bus and trains don't have any WiFi hot spot. So I was thinking is any other way. Is there any device which can give me cellular data connection. Because there are lots of that kind of device are available for android. So if any please let me know. And by the way thanks for reply. :D

Your cellular provider should be able to help you obtain a MiFi device, which is used to generate a WiFi hotspot.

Depp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Your android phone can provide cellular data connection.I also got a wifi only model and if I need internet connection on the go I turn my android phone into a wifi hotspot using the free app called Foxfi.This is assuming that you have a data plan for your phone.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all. Really appreciate your help. I turn my iPhone in to a router and create a WiFi hot spot. Thanks again to all for your suggestion.

muratefendi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Other than wifi-hotspot, is it possible that I can share my internet on iPhone 3Gs(tethering) and connect via "bluetooth" (after pairing the ipad mini with iphone 3Gs)

i hope it is possible, because i'd prefer bluetooth to wifi-hotspot for battery consuming purposes..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
muratefendi said:
Hi,

Other than wifi-hotspot, is it possible that I can share my internet on iPhone 3Gs(tethering) and connect via "bluetooth" (after pairing the ipad mini with iphone 3Gs)

i hope it is possible, because i'd prefer bluetooth to wifi-hotspot for battery consuming purposes..

Bluetooth tethering has already been mentioned in this thread, they both consume a lot of battery power from the phone generating the hotspot.

muratefendi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was hoping, bluetooth tethering used less power than wifi hotspot :( but anyway, i will go with that option
thanks for the reply

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
muratefendi said:
i was hoping, bluetooth tethering used less power than wifi hotspot :( but anyway, i will go with that option
thanks for the reply

Bluetooth tethering only draws slightly less power than WiFi tethering. Have you considered tethering with the charging cable connecting the phone to the USB port on the computer?
Here is the Apple page on tethering. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574 According to it, you can only do WiFi or USB tethering.

Last edited:

muratefendi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm already using usb tethering with pc; but it will not be possible with my new ipad mini, since it has no usb port.
I'm not sure that i will manage to make a wifi hotspot with my old 3Gs (jailbroken&unlocked), i even cannot upgrade its iOS to 4.3 keeping its unlock..

So, BT-tethering will be my only option, sadly.

Most reactions