Safari stopped working correctly on iPad mini with retina

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Elliern, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Again, thank you for your help.

I tried to 'reset all settings'. But, said I had to enter 4 digit restrictions passcode.
    Since I don't know what that is, I could not proceed.

Since this will be a 'new' iPad for my husband, I considered restoring the device to original settings. But, not sure how to do that. Is that a clean restore? Plus was wondering if it would prevent him from upgrading to the latest 7.1.2 version. My daughter missed an upgrade and now cannot upgrade her iphone to the latest version.

I am also worried that this will turn into a recurring problem on the mini. I have not read of others having the same problem. But, if resetting the date and time works, and no other problems occur, then I can handle that.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The restrictions passcode is the one you set under Settings > General > Restrictions. This area allows you to limit access to certain features and apps on the iPad. It's mostly about parental control.

If you did not set it, someone else probably did. Time for a family conference.

You can restore the device by two methods. You can either connect it to a computer with iTunes installed and restore it that way, or you can go to Settings > General > Reset, and chose Erase all Content and Settings. You'll need to disable Find my iPad in settings first, if it's turned on.

Restoring through iTunes on the computer tends to be more complete, but you can try the local iPad reset first, and then the computer later if it does not work.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Neither of these will affect the current version of iOS or prevent you from upgrading later, as long as the upgrade is compatible with your hardware.

There is no way to tell if you have a re-occuring problem until, well, it re-occures a few times. :)

Good luck.

3. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again.
    :(. Unfortunately, my mini just experienced the same problem again. It was fine until I plugged it in to recharge some while eating dinner. During that time, or shortly after unplugging it, the set time and date automatically got turned off. When I turned it on, the date reverted to 1970 and the time was no longer current. I scrolles to the current date again and then reset the time. Closed the settings icon. Made sure I xould get on line. Went back and set the automatic on button for date and time. Seems to be working ok again.

Also the mini seemed very hot. Took it out of its cover to cool some.

Re iPad 2. No one has ever used it but me. (Just me and hubby here). I am pretty sure I did not set a pass code. However, I did take it to Apple store once and is possible they set one. But if so, it is long forgotten.
    I looked at the pass code settings section. And here they are:
    Turn passcode on is is blue
    Change passcode and require passcode is gray
    Simple passcode is in bold black and turned on
    Erase data is gray and green on button is shaded green.

Now seriously thinking of returning the mini. Still have over 2 months of use available. Yay Costco.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The passcode and restrictions code are two different things. The passcode is for unlocking your iPad from the lock screen. The restriction code is to protect any restrictions you set under Settings > General > Restrictions.

I'm afraid I don't have any other advice. It's odd. If the iPad mini is less than 90 days old you have free Apple Tech support, or if you got AppleCare for it you have 2 years of free tech support.

You can also try a genius bar appointment, if you have an Apple Store near by. They can check it out. You won't be charged just for the appointment and having them look.

5. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate all your time and suggestions on my problem.
    Unfortunately we don't have a 'real' Apple store here. I will give Apple Tech support a call. Since both iPads are having the same problem, I don't see how the new mini is at fault, but both are registered to me and I back up both to the cloud. At this time, neither device will work when the set time automatically is set to on.
    I will also call our local wifi tech. They recently just installed new wifi throughout our large community. The modem/radio device in our unit serves 3-4 other home owners. I know they have been adjusting the settings behind the scenes. Have no idea if that could affect the iPads, but won't hurt to ask. My neighbor's iPad has not been affected, though. So probably not the problem.

One more question, please.

If I do wind up getting a new device. How can I get my photos and apps without synching to my old iPad 2? I am afraid of synching with it since it is corrupted. I have not backed up to iTunes in years. But since both devices are corrupted, don't see how that would help. Hate to lose everything. But looks like that could happen.

6. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Hi! Yes, if you backup, it will store the wrong time and you will end up getting the wrong time on the new device.

Before that, what you could try is Settings > General > Reset network settings.

If that doesnt work Settings > General > Reset Location and privacy.

Good luck!

7. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just reset network settings on my mini again and so far it is working.
    Keeping fingers crossed it continues to work this time. Last time it did not last. As soon as I plugged it in to charge it reverted back. Not sure if backing up to the cloud has anything to do with it or not. That is set to backup every time I plug in my iPad.

I could not do it on the iPad 2. It says I need a passcode.

Thank you for your help.
    Edit:
    Sigh.... Did not last even 5 minutes. The set time automatically button tuned off and time changed. At least it kept the date this time. But everything else is still working.

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    iCloud only backs up once a day, even if it's set to automatically back up. It doesn't create a backup every time you plug in your device to charge it.

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Two questions:

Are the iPads you're using Wi-Fi only?

Did you set up restrictions in Settings - General - Restrictions? If you intend to reset all settings (Settings - General - Reset), this will appear when certain restrictions are enabled:
    image.jpg
    In this case you'll need to enter the restrictions code.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    If you do not want to restore from a backup you will need to save all your photos and other non-Apple purchases off the iPad to another device, computer, or online.

If you don't have too many photos, you could try using the Shared Photo Stream feature for iCloud. It's a bit too cumbersome to transfer thousands of photos, a couple hundred shouldn't take more than 30 minute or so of organizing.

The Shared Photo Stream albums (not Photos Stream) are permanent, and will sync to any iOS device you enable them on; as long as they use the same Apple ID. Despite the name, you are not required to actually share them.

Flickr is another possibility. Again, time consuming.

DropBox, Google Drive, etc. There are dozens of online storage services you can use, depending on how many pictures you need to store.

Or you can copy them to your computer. If you are using Windows, the iPad should mount as a USB drive. You photos will be in the DCIM folder. On a Mac, you can use the Image Capture app.

Don't forget to save documents from other apps. Go thorough all your apps to make sure you don't miss any. Most will have, as a minimum, the ability to email documents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List