Safari stopped working correctly on iPad mini with retina

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Elliern, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This afternoon, I kept receiving error messages on every web site that the server could not be identified. Sites like cnn, fox news and my aol mail. Also cannot connect to app store. Message says server could not be located.
    My games by King are not working and the time on my iPad shows 1:51 am, when it is actually 6:44 pm.

I did a soft reset, no help. Also, safari says cannot back up this device. I have had it for 2 weeks and it worked fine until this afternoon.

Any suggestions? Or is it just broken and I have to return it. Bought it at Costco.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried resetting your router?

3. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No. We have a "radio" modem in our condo that provides wifi to others in our building. I don't have rights to reset it, even tho we have an 'isolated' network. But, it probably could be done with our network support personnel if I and they were sure that was the problem.

What is likelihood of that being the problem? Other devices are working fine.

Thanks for your help.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no way to tell for sure without seeing the device but it certainly is possible that a router will not connect to one device while other devices have no problem connecting.

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've moved your thread to the iPad help forum where it will receive better attention.

I've also deleted the duplicate post you made a few minutes after starting this thread. Duplicate postings fragments any resulting conversations, it's also against our rules.

6. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oops...sorry. Thanks.

I did reboot the modem. Same problem exists. Then just rebooted my iPad again. When it came back on, it says todays date is Friday January 2, 2014.
    Am using it now to respond here. But still getting unidentifiable network message. And still no connection to app store. And game apps still not working. Some web pages won't load. Still no cloud back up.

Now having same exact problem on my iPad 2 that I gave my husband. Could it be a problem with safari or the ios? IPhone is fine so far.

#6 Elliern, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Quite a few things won't work properly if the iPad's time is significantly off.

Go to Settings > General > Date & Time. Turn off Set Automatically. Pick your Time Zone, then manually set the time and date by tapping on them and using the slide-around-thingy.

Once the time is correct, see if you have net access again. If you do, you can try going back and changing the settings back to Set Automatically. With the network access restored the iPad should be able to find a time server and keep itself accurate.

8. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Woo Hoo! That did it. I tried that last night and because it wasn't working correctly, could not change it to the correct date or time zone. The date and year were showing Jan 2014. But year immediately changed to 1971 with no time zone when I tried to fix it. Could get on line but did not look the same as current version of ios.
    Tried again just now and correct time zone appeared. Still had Jan 1971. Just kept scrolling month by month until I reached this month, then chose 17, set the time. Got online, and went back and chose select automatically. Can now connect to app store and my game apps are working.
    Do you know what caused this to happen? And how could it happen on 2 different iPads?
    Thank you so much for your help! I hope this does not become a routine problem. But at least I know what to try first.

9. Elliern

Elliern
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Uh oh. That is not working to fix the iPad 2. Reverts back to 1970 as soon as I change it to set automatically. Geesh. :(

Mini is still working ok.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I can only a few possibilities, though there are probably more.

One is that there is something wrong with the clock on the iPad. On most computers there is a small battery that keeps the clock working even when the rest of the device loses power. When this battery goes out your clock resets to some default date whenever the computer loses power. The iPad may, or may not do the same thing. No idea.

Another is that you've got a time server on your network that is giving the wrong time and date. That seem very unlikely, but it is not impossible.

Or it could be a glitch in the Date&Time settings; under the category of 'stuff happens'.

Here are the only things I can think of to try:

Settings > General > Reset: Reset All Settings. This wont' delete anything, but a lot of the settings will go back to default. It's been known to fix strange behavior, especially if that behavior has to do with settings, as your's does.

If that fails, you can also try restoring the iPad and see if that helps. Try restoring from a backup first, then if that does not work do a clean restore. Sometimes the settings in a backup can restore the problem along with the data.

In the end you may have to leave the iPad's time settings on manual, and be prepared to fix it again whenever it goes bad. Unless you're still under warrantee, but that's unlikely with an iPad 2.

Good luck.