What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari reader mode is great... what font is it using?

bluesky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the reader mode of Safari. Can someone tell me what font it is using? I found a nice plugin for Chromium called "iReader" for my laptop but it just doesn't look the same as on my iPad.

Thanks.

(
Click to enlarge)

Reaction score
I love it too and the font is called Georgia.

I hated that on iOS 7, and subsequently iOS 8, they changed to that San Francisco font — that was even one of the reason I didn't update my iPads.

On my newest iPad I couldn't go back and since I was struggling with iOS 8.3 I decided to try the iOS 9 Beta released last week and gues what? Now you can personalize more stuff on Reader Mode. Like before, you can change the size of the font, but now you can also change the font type (and Gergia's included) and also change the background, there's a Night Mode as well. Real nice.
image.jpg

What's not so nice is that if you share a web page with Reader Mode on, the content will no longer be emailed, only the link.

I hope it's a bug, after all, it's only a Beta version, but...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The San Fransisco font is only on the Apple Watch at this time. iOS 7 and 8 use Helvetica Neue as the system font. It's main issue is/was that it look terrible on non-retina displays due to it's thinness. There is a setting in Accessibility that helps to some degree, but replacing it with a bolder version of the font.

I have no idea what Safari's reading mode is using, but since San Francisco is not installed on iOS 8 devices, it's not that.

The San Fransisco font will be coming (so we hear) to iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan. Most font buffs like it better than Helvitica Neue. Me, I'm not that picky. I'm not a font expert. I just read a few blogs where font lovers go on, and on, and on, on about fonts; and drool over the upcoming San Fransisco (at least as a system font).

Most reactions