What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air as a reader...

drash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 32gb Air and love it. I had the mini (1st gen) before this and found it to be the perfect reader. I could literally read for hours with no strain.
The air on the other hand is still slightly heavy to hold up infront of you and read...

Currently what I do is to prop it up on its smart cover in landscape mode on the table. That way i just need to touch it to turn the page.

Just wondering what your experience was, and if you are using it as a reader, what font settings and brightness you use?

Thanks!!

xrayeyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I have to say I love it best for reading. I can hold it with one hand and I like the matte finish and eInk for reading. To me it's the closest electronic gaget to a book. That being said, when I travel I don't want to carry both, so I use my iPad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the kindle app and do a lot of reading on my iPad. I leave the brightness where I usually do which is about 40%. I like reading on the iPad better than my kindle. I love the page turn animations, the retina screen and the larger overall screen size. It's a perfect reader! And, the Air is light enough to be held comfortably for a long time.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While I like the kindle, I'm more into audio books, so I only read books that teach me stuff....for that use, the iPad mini is perfect. I do set the background to be that tan-ish color in the kindle reader because I don't like to stare at a bright screen while reading. So pleasure reading is now listening and reading is more for work and self-improvement.

Last edited:

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that the Air is somewhat less comfortable and convenient as an e-book reader than the Mini (which I find ideal). When I use it for reading, I lie in bed and prop it against my legs. Speaking only of the iBooks app, I use the sepia background with regular size Iowan font, and find it quite comfortable. My screen brightness is set to just below halfway.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've had the iPad 2 for nearly 3 years and plan to buy an Air soon and am looking forward to the retina screen - being a senior who wears glasses is an important consideration for me and prefer the larger screen.

On my device, I use iBooks, the Kindle app, and also Zinio for magazine subscriptions; the latter although much improved for e-book reading still has small printing - wife has the iPad Mini and reads a lot of books on the device but does complain about her magazines (the printing is just smaller vs. reading books of the other apps).

As to the 'weight' of the standard iPad, I've prop it on my lap or while using exercise machines simply use the control stand - don't really read in bed but I'd have to find a solution rather that holding the iPad for an hour or so. Dave

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading on my Air these past few weeks. Kindle app, nook app, web browsing and so on. In fact most of what I do with the Air is read... I usually go with a small font and about 40% brightness. Small font cause I have fairly good vision with my glasses on. 40% brightness because I find it easy on my eyes that way. I do find it heavy compared to my Nexus 7 but when I use both hands to grip the bottom of the Air it is not that bad. When I'm at my desk I use a tablet stand and when I'm on the go or on the couch I put up with the extra size/weight because I really like the extra screen real estate and the Air is my favorite tablet, it's the one I want to be using most of the time. Plus the battery life on the Air blows the N7 away and when reading ebooks it's incredibly long lasting! IMO the Air is a great reading tablet. That said, I would not use my Air in certain situations like a crowded bus or train or anything like that... I would use the N7 or my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

witbops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the kindle app and do a lot of reading on my iPad. I leave the brightness where I usually do which is about 40%. I like reading on the iPad better than my kindle. I love the page turn animations, the retina screen and the larger overall screen size. It's a perfect reader! And, the Air is light enough to be held comfortably for a long time.
I agree with you.

Buck Falcon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 32gb Air and love it. I had the mini (1st gen) before this and found it to be the perfect reader. I could literally read for hours with no strain.
The air on the other hand is still slightly heavy to hold up infront of you and read...

Currently what I do is to prop it up on its smart cover in landscape mode on the table. That way i just need to touch it to turn the page.

Just wondering what your experience was, and if you are using it as a reader, what font settings and brightness you use?

Thanks!!

I traded in my original iPad Mini for the new iPad Air thinking I might appreciate the larger screen. However, after a month of trying to warm up to the Air, I still really missed my Mini, especially as a reader : in addition to the inherent versatility, size, weight. The store was gracious, letting me return the Air as a return item, refunding the purchase price. I then purchased the new iPad Mini with Retina Display. I'm very pleased!

PDX_FF

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks!!

I used every iPad generation as a reader. Most recently, I have transitioned all my school books on to my iPad. With every generation it would become a bit uncomfortable. Since the Air...HUGE difference for me. It was the weight that got me really. My ex GF had the first gen Mini and also used it for books and I remember really loving the weight but hated the size of the mini. I like the full size iPad. The Air solved all my issues.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used every iPad generation as a reader. Most recently, I have transitioned all my school books on to my iPad. With every generation it would become a bit uncomfortable. Since the Air...HUGE difference for me. It was the weight that got me really. My ex GF had the first gen Mini and also used it for books and I remember really loving the size and weight but hated the size of the mini. I like the full size iPad. The Air solved all my issues.

I agree on the size issue. The mini is simply too small for me and the Air has solved the weight problem! The iPad Air is the best reader I've ever used.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an avid reader. I read every night before bed for an hour or three.

Last few nights I've been using the new iPad. For rich text, pictures, magazines....it rocks.

But, for books....common novel type text only, my Kindle Paperwhite is still my preferred device. It's small, super light, easy to hold for long sessions and I only charge it every couple of weeks. The backlit eInk is easier on the eyes. I love this iPad for everything....but my nightly book read still goes to my Kindle.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I was just poking around in one of those "as seen on TV" stores, and found an ipad
Lap desk. It is a thin pillow with a plastic top that has a channel in it to hold the ipad. It is perfect for hands free reading, and for typing with my apple Bluetooth keyboard.

I wish there was a way I could turn the page hands free. Say turn or something. I know that sounds ridiculously lazy, but I eat and read a lot...

Most reactions

Latest posts