What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Reader Mode on iOS 9

Reaction score
I really like that now you can change the font. I much prefer Georgia for reading long articles as opposed to the defaul style on iOS 7 and 8. However, when you now share through email the page opened on Reader Mode the content of the page no longer enters the body of the email like it's always been. Now you can only send the link.

To me this is essential, I email myself emails to read offline on the subway every morning.

Do you guys think this is like a bug, something that will be fixed or this is Apple's new Safari and that's it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you a registered developer and have you filed a bug report with Apple? iOS 9 is in its first beta, you should not expect it to work as expected.

OP
I am Jack's account
Reaction score
I haven't filed a bug a report because I'm not entirely sure it's a bug!

They might have just changed/disabled this feature. I've always loved it and hated that no other browser would attach the content of a web page in a email when you shared it, only the link...

Anyway, I'm interested in other people's experiences and whether people think it's a bug or if that's how it's going to be from now on — when you share web pages that don't have the Reader Mode feature, only the link will be send, not the content, so...

What's your take on it? Have you explored the new iOS 9?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the iOS 9 beta release notes. Is your problem isn't mentioned as a known issue, report it as a bug. You can also check out the developer forums to see if any other developers have encountered the problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As an alternative you could add the articles to Safari's reading list. This saves articles for offline reading in Safari, and you can use the Reader mode just like you do when online.

The 'Add to Reading List' is in the bottom row (gray icons) of the share sheet. To get to the reading list tap the bookmarks icon and choose the eyeglass tab.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As an alternative you could add the articles to Safari's reading list. This saves articles for offline reading in Safari, and you can use the Reader mode just like you do when online.

I have found that the reading list is not permanent. Possibly it may be that once you have gone back to what you put there, it goes? A couple of times recently I have gone back to check something I put on the list and it had gone - and I had not deleted it. Fortunately I traced it through the history.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have found that the reading list is not permanent. Possibly it may be that once you have gone back to what you put there, it goes? A couple of times recently I have gone back to check something I put on the list and it had gone - and I had not deleted it. Fortunately I traced it through the history.

I've never noticed anything disappear. But then again, I'm really, really bad about remembering to read the stuff I put there; so my experience may not mean much. If I don't get to it in the first couple days it's likely to end up on the list for months, unread until I get around to cleaning the list up. Some stuff could be disappearing, and I'd never notice.

Hold in mind that there is either a 'Show Unread' or 'Show All' button at the bottom of the list. If you see 'Show Unread', then articles marked as read won't be shown.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hold in mind that there is either a 'Show Unread' or 'Show All' button at the bottom of the list. If you see 'Show Unread', then articles marked as read won't be shown.

Good point, but I just checked and one item is still not there. Bookmarking may be safer route, for me anyway.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point, but I just checked and one item is still not there. Bookmarking may be safer route, for me anyway.
You might try the Pocket app, it's free and has clients for iOS and OS X. Pocket is like an extended bookmarks list but can be available in other apps - many apps offer Pocket as a "Read it later" type of service.

Believe it or not, I never noticed that "Show Unread" button at the bottom of that list. Thanks for mentioning that.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might try the Pocket app, it's free and has clients for iOS and OS X. Pocket is like an extended bookmarks list but can be available in other apps - many apps offer Pocket as a "Read it later" type of service.
Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds very interesting so I will give it a go.

Most reactions