What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari issues

OP
T

torontoguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded off line maps, and when I zoom in to a map, zafari just closes and kicks me out.

I went on another website , and when I zoomed in to focus on certain things on the page! It did the same thing?

Frustrating.

Haven't
had any other issues, although at times it seems that safari is slow to respond to certain request.

Thanks for any input.

New iPad user.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. I should have been clearer. I was hoping for example links so I could to to the sites and see what happens. That way I could confirm whether you are having problems specific to your iPad, or whether it's generic to all (or at least our two) iPads.

Also, it would help to know what iPad and version of iOS you are on; so I'll know if my results mean anything compared to yours.

In the mean time you can try these generic fixes to see if they help.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Given that it is a Safari problem, it might help to go to Settings > Safari, and Clear Cookies and Data. Be aware this will reset your persistent logins. You'll have to log into all your sites again.

OP
T

torontoguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you so much for responding. I think this site is great and it's helping me get the most out of my iPad.

The app I downloaded for .99 is offline maps, which allows you to download city specific maps for fee. When I would zoom intothe map, using my two fingers, sometimes the app would just kick me out and return me to my home screen.

The other example, was from a safari website, called www.couchsurfing.com

On the lest side Of the website, you can select different criteria you are using to filter out results for people who want to meet.

For example, age group, sex, etc.

When I tried to select the options, safari just closed down and kicked me back to my iPad home screen.

I have the new iPad, so I believe it's io5 operating system latest one.

I will try both of your tips.

Thanks again for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok.

The app is probably just a problem app. Yes, unfortunately there are app with bugs. In addition to the other fixes I mentioned sometimes it can help to delete then reinstall an app. It won't hurt to go tot he developer's support site and report the problem. They may fix it in the next update.

I took a quick look at the URL. I'm not willing to sign up to check it out. However the problem is probably something to do with how the site is implementing javascript (or it's using some other tool). Again, I recommend contacting the site's feedback and reporting your problem. It may not be possible for them to fix it, or it might just require a slight tweak.

You can also try using the Opera Mini Web browser (free). Because it is actually a remote session on Opera's serves it uses a different web engine, and might work with the site.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts