Running multiple programmes on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by mental health nurse, Jun 5, 2012.

1. LeonKaiser

LeonKaiser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Or, if you have the virtual home button on your screen activated, you can use that & press it twice to achieve the same results as a 4- finger swipe, extending the life of your hardware home button a few presses more. :)

2. mdanehart

mdanehart
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I tried to stream a broadcast and used the 'home' buttom and went to my bookmarks and lost the streaming. I assume this method does not apply audio streams in the background? Or what am I doing wrong ?

3. Verndog

Verndog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sweet! Thank you... glad I checked in today and got a new trick. I too am concerned about home button abuse / wear.

4. 6mildollarman

6mildollarman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Are you streaming from an app or from the Internet?

Specific streaming apps like Pandora continue to play audio after you press the home button and open up other apps. Be careful though, if you open up another app that plays audio, it might be a good idea to stop the stream first. For example, I was streaming Pandora in the background and then opened up Infinity Blade. The audio for both apps played at the same time for a few seconds, then the iPad just froze requiring a reset (holding down both sleep & home buttons). Not sure if this is a memory or multitasking glitch.

If you're streaming from the Internet, pressing the home button will pause your stream. To continue playing in the background, do this:

1) Double tap the home button or 4-finger swipe up to bring up the multitasking bar
    2) On the bottom, swipe to the right to display an audio control panel. This panel has a repeat button, play/pause, next track, previous track, volume, brightness, and the app that is currently paused.
    3) Press the play button to resume audio. Now your stream should continue to play in the background.

This method also works if you want to stream audio from YouTube.

Let us know if this works for you. Someone please feel free to chime in if I've left anything out or if there's a better method :)

5. mdanehart

mdanehart
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    6mildollarman thanks for the information.
    I can get Iheart to play in the background and surf...but when I go to website to play a prerecorded talk show and try to load another site and then hit the play button, no love found? How about another tutoring session!

6. City

City
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you have an up to date, or somewhat recent iOS (iPad update) then you have the option to multitask, which is where you slide your fingers across the app, allowing it to go to the next one you recently played, or is very much used.
    How to turn it on is to go to Settings, General, and scroll down to Multitasking Gestures.

7. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem Verndog!

By the way, I like your Avatar.

8. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've never heard of a home button being worn out... and I've been using my iPad1 daily since the day they came out. Until I got the iPad 3 anyway.

But using the button isn't as simple as the five finger pinch gesture. People should read the section on multitasking gestures in the manual for more info.

Short version:
    Upgrade to the latest version of iOS if necessary and then...
    Enable Multitasking Gestures in the General Settings (towards the bottom).

9. Verndog

Verndog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you as well. People either love it or hate it.
    :)

10. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I did a double take when I saw your Avatar.....quite unusual it is...but well done.

It's just weird though, but I do like it!