What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Result of my complaint to Apple re: forcing iOS5 on me. I encourage others to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_Knight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sick and tired of Apple getting to force their new iOS down your throat?
If you have read my recent post, you can see that I recently wanted to clean up my iPad by reformatting it, and installing the OS anew. I do this quite often with PCs in my profession.

When I tried to reinstall 4.3.3, iTunes reformatted my iPad, and THEN informed me that it could not reinstall the current OS (error 1611). It turns out, I discovered, that Apple has stopped digitally signing that version - most likely because it was jailbreakable. So it then went a step further and downloaded and installed the new iOS5. While there are a few "nifty" enhancements (most of which are blatant copies of Android functionality, and NONE of which I have any use for), I did not like the new features, nor the fact that not only did the battery life dramatically decrease, but some new limitations were systematically implemented, rendering some features of software that I purchased dysfunctional (one example is they imposed a system-wide 350MB cap on 'open with...' app interoperability).
Furthermore, iTunes would not downgrade my iOS.

After a conversation with Applecare (NO Applecare subscription needed for this type of issue!), I was forwarded to a Customer Relations manager. I explained that when I purchased the iPad, it had a certain set of features, functionality, capabilities, and performance. These characteristics have been forcibly and irreversibly changed against my will. Therefore, I am entitled to an un-doing of this, or a full refund for my iPad, at which point I would turn in my device.
They had no choice but to agree with me and, unlike many other companies I could name who would have simply told me to please **** myself, they offered to either replace my device with one that has OS4 on it, or I could turn it in for a full refund.
I opted for the former. She contacted the manager of the 5th Ave Apple store, had them reserve a factory-condition iPad with iOS 4.3.5. I went to the Apple store that day, got to go ahead of about 200 other people, and got a factory- condition iPad with 4.3.5 handed to me in exchange for mine.
If you are fed up with being force-fed "new" features, changes and problems that you don't want, I urge you to follow suit and demand a replacement device or a refund for the full purchase price of your product. They are legally obligated to, and will, replace it for you or refund your money.
Contact any Apple customer service number, explain to them that your iPad needed to reformat because of a minor problem, and that now you are stuck with a non-downgradeable system that is inferior to what was on it when you paid for it.

Give them the choice to replace it or give your money back!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I can say as a former android table owner-people want these updates. I realize that this is not an android forum, but where I came from-people live for these updates to see the progression and improvements of their devices. Anyways, glad to hear that Apple was able to help you. That is one thing that Apple is unique for is their utmost customer service and satisfaction-regardless as to who is at fault....i.e. broken glass on ipad due to the fault of the consumer. Apple just goes above and beyond what other companies fail to do. :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree why reformat as it is not necessary it is a solid state device. The only time I would consider a total restore iSight I had serious problems with main apple apps or corrupted data which has not happened on any of the 7 iDevices I have in the house

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple customer service is usually top notch. I would guess your position is held by a very small minority of customers however. If I had been the manager helping you I would have refunded your money and wished you well on your way, however they appear to have bent over backwards to help you and I hope you don abuse this with your idea of how they should be operating their business.

Disconnect from iTunes.

Don't use the App Store.

Don't try to reformat... Ever....

If you do any of these things you will be disappointed in the results.

Apple does not support retired versions of the OS, and you should be very aware of that going forward.

Good luck.

OP
D

Dan_Knight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But why do you do it with the iPad?

Just askin'...

Because I had about 6 GB of orphan data that was cluttering up the drive. It could not be removed now that the jailbreak was undone. No more iFile, so I could not browse the OS.
Also, my battery was draining like crazy, so there must have been something else wrong too.

OP
D

Dan_Knight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple customer service is usually top notch. I would guess your position is held by a very small minority of customers however. If I had been the manager helping you I would have refunded your money and wished you well on your way, however they appear to have bent over backwards to help you and I hope you don abuse this with your idea of how they should be operating their business.

Disconnect from iTunes.

Don't use the App Store.

Don't try to reformat... Ever....

If you do any of these things you will be disappointed in the results.

Apple does not support retired versions of the OS, and you should be very aware of that going forward.

Good luck.

But they should not have the right to force me to use new "features" that I don't want, and have a device that is measurably different (and less functional in at least one way) than what I had before.
I now know this, and as you said, I have this in mind for the future. This is why I went with an Android phone when I switched carriers. I sold my iPhone even though I loved it. I just don't want one day to find myself forced to change my phone into something I don't like as much.
D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But they should not have the right to force me to use new "features" that I don't want, and have a device that is measurably different (and less functional in at least one way) than what I had before.

D
No one is forcing anyone to do anything IMHO. You have to confirm the installation of all upgrades. You have a choice. I don't know of any Apple device that actually stopped working (I saw a Lisa boot up the other day!), eventually they are no longer supported is all. I don't know of any company, tech or otherwise, that works any differently.

Time to go. Now where's that buggy whip? :D

OP
D

Dan_Knight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one is forcing anyone to do anything IMHO. You have to confirm the installation of all upgrades. You have a choice. I don't know of any Apple device that actually stopped working (I saw a Lisa boot up the other day!), eventually they are no longer supported is all. I don't know of any company, tech or otherwise, that works any differently.

Time to go. Now where's that buggy whip? :D

If you'd read my original post, you'd see that I WAS, in fact, forced.
I had some problems, and all I wanted to do was to revert to a backup state. But after erasing my iPad, iTunes refused to install the OS that I already had. Nobody asked them to support it. All I wanted was to reinstall it. I had the ipsw file. But Apple has a system - the OS is verified with their server, and if they decide they want you to upgrade, their server instructs your iTunes NOT to install that file, but to require you to download and install the latest.

That IS forcing it on me.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That IS forcing it on me.
Well, you can't expect to have everyone play the game your way just because you opted to change the rules...again IMHO. You simply can't have it both ways. Had you not tinkered with the formula the results would have been different is all. But I get where you're coming from.

In any case, question asked and answered. Enjoy your "new" iPad! :)

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Wow... What an idiotic post tbh. People want these updates. Stop using the ipad seems to be your best bet

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And I just read that you were JAIL BROKEN when you did this... Hello????? Apple had NO REASON to support you in any way shape or form once you had modified their device and broken their OS...

When you jail break, you are OFF the reservation and on your own. You should know this. Apple owes you nothing.

Now I really would have simply told you to just go away...

You received MUCH better support from Apple than I would have provided.

I would recommend that you dump your iOS device and move to Android immediately. You should have indeed demanded your money back and not a new iPad, because you will NEVER be a happy Apple customer. You are not their demographic.

-t

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts