What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset Gen 4. Set up issues with phone number.

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I reset my gen 4 I Pad. When I got to the trusted phone number and verification code part of the set-up i Was unable to get the code due to not having that phone anymore. There is no option to obtain the verification code by any other means other than that old phone number. I tried to set it up as a "new set-up" and it even wants the old phone number. The same with back-up from the cloud. What can I do about this ? I went to the iforgot web site but it does not have the answers I need or help with the phone issue.

Thanks, Phil

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, I reset my gen 4 I Pad. When I got to the trusted phone number and verification code part of the set-up i Was unable to get the code due to not having that phone anymore. There is no option to obtain the verification code by any other means other than that old phone number. I tried to set it up as a "new set-up" and it even wants the old phone number. The same with back-up from the cloud. What can I do about this ? I went to the iforgot web site but it does not have the answers I need or help with the phone issue.

Thanks, Phil
If you are near an Apple Store and you have proof of purchase they may be able to help you.

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I live in a rural community and I am pretty sure that I do not have any documentation on purchase anymore. I ordered it online either from Apple or through Amazon back when it was the new model.

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You think there is a bypass code verification number that the Apple techs have ? This is a design flaw if I cannot set up my I-Pad because of an old phone number blocking me. They could at least have another option for a new phone number or text to e-mail.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You think there is a bypass code verification number that the Apple techs have ? This is a design flaw if I cannot set up my I-Pad because of an old phone number blocking me. They could at least have another option for a new phone number or text to e-mail.
It is a security measure rather than a design flaw. I expect Apple uses some kind of code to allow a bona fide owner access to their device.

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is why it is a design flaw . (You know what they say about people that assume things). So now I lose the use of my I-Pad I did not know about the trusted phone number being part of the things you need to do a reset. Do not recall reading that anywhere prior to doing the reset.
I am not trying to take my frustration out on you scifan57, please do not take it that way. There has to be a work around for this issue.

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a security measure rather than a design flaw. I expect Apple uses some kind of code to allow a bona fide owner access to their device.
I wonder who I would talk to about that?

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be misunderstanding all of the issue, but have you tried going to your Apple account online (in another computer's browser) and changing your info there. That would also be the place where you are likely to receive the most alternate verification options.
Thank You twerppoet, for that idea. I am not familiar with how to get to my apple account from my computer. Where do I go to sign in to that?

OP
P

parmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that may work. I signed in and may have a new phone number set up by tomorrow at this time and that will allow me to continue with the reset. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts