What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Gen 5 Tech Problem- for Experts!

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new Generation 5 iPad on 19/3/2018, and am having a problem I (and Apple) can’t solve so far.

I go Settings->tap my name. There is an iCloud address for iCloud, and a gmail address for Store.

Under my name in Settings, it says ‘Update Apple ID Settings’ with a red circle with a 1 in it. I tap that, and it says ‘Some Account Services require you to sign in again’. Under that is ‘Continue,’ in blue. Tap that, and it wants the password for the previously mentioned iCloud address. BTW, this is the same iCloud address I had with my previous iPad Air, bought 2014. I enter the password I’ve had since 2014, and get a message ‘Apple ID Locked for security reasons. To unlock it, you must verify your identity. Tap ‘Unlock Account,’ and it says ‘Cannot Verify Identity’ ‘Your session has timed out. Then a box pops up ‘Forgot Password? I enter the iCloud address as my Apple ID, it says that iCloud address is not an Apple ID. I enter the gmail address I have for Store, it says ‘that is your Apple ID.’ ‘Continue.’

I tap ‘Continue,’ and then a box pops up wanting the password for the iCloud account again. So, it goes in circles.

BTW, before, verifying my identity required me to answer Security Questions. These Questions were *not* set by me, for sure, because I’d have the answers written down. Or else, have instructions emailed to me at the iCloud account, but they ‘cannot be downloaded from the Server.’

IMPORTANT: On a different note, on my old iPad Air, I go to Settings, tap my name, on the right is ‘Password and Security.’ Tap that, and the bottom choice of the menu is ‘Get Verification Code,’ and under that it says ‘Get a Verification Code to sign in on another device or at iCloud.com. Tap that, and a box pops up saying ‘Apple ID Verification Code.’ ‘Enter this Verification Code on your other device to sign in,’ and a 6 digit code is provided.

But, it doesn’t say where to enter the code on my Gen 5 iPad. It does not work on the Gen 5 iCloud password field.

Does anyone know where I can enter this code?

Thank You for reading this. So far even Apple doesn’t know what to do over the phone, and the nearest Apple Store/Reseller is 6, maybe 12 hours away from me by road.

linwoodc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new Generation 5 iPad on 19/3/2018, and am having a problem I (and Apple) can’t solve so far.

I go Settings->tap my name. There is an iCloud address for iCloud, and a gmail address for Store.

Under my name in Settings, it says ‘Update Apple ID Settings’ with a red circle with a 1 in it. I tap that, and it says ‘Some Account Services require you to sign in again’. Under that is ‘Continue,’ in blue. Tap that, and it wants the password for the previously mentioned iCloud address. BTW, this is the same iCloud address I had with my previous iPad Air, bought 2014. I enter the password I’ve had since 2014, and get a message ‘Apple ID Locked for security reasons. To unlock it, you must verify your identity. Tap ‘Unlock Account,’ and it says ‘Cannot Verify Identity’ ‘Your session has timed out. Then a box pops up ‘Forgot Password? I enter the iCloud address as my Apple ID, it says that iCloud address is not an Apple ID. I enter the gmail address I have for Store, it says ‘that is your Apple ID.’ ‘Continue.’

I tap ‘Continue,’ and then a box pops up wanting the password for the iCloud account again. So, it goes in circles.

BTW, before, verifying my identity required me to answer Security Questions. These Questions were *not* set by me, for sure, because I’d have the answers written down. Or else, have instructions emailed to me at the iCloud account, but they ‘cannot be downloaded from the Server.’

IMPORTANT: On a different note, on my old iPad Air, I go to Settings, tap my name, on the right is ‘Password and Security.’ Tap that, and the bottom choice of the menu is ‘Get Verification Code,’ and under that it says ‘Get a Verification Code to sign in on another device or at iCloud.com. Tap that, and a box pops up saying ‘Apple ID Verification Code.’ ‘Enter this Verification Code on your other device to sign in,’ and a 6 digit code is provided.

But, it doesn’t say where to enter the code on my Gen 5 iPad. It does not work on the Gen 5 iCloud password field.

Does anyone know where I can enter this code?

Thank You for reading this. So far even Apple doesn’t know what to do over the phone, and the nearest Apple Store/Reseller is 6, maybe 12 hours away from me by road.

I’d try a new password and start over.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you’re using two-factor authentication for your iCloud ID. You’ll need that verification code from your iPad Air when you use a new device (the new iPad) with your ID. In your case, the “trusted device” would be the iPad Air.

Here’s how it works, and what it looks like:
Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication

Just a thought: maybe your new device doesn’t need the password for the iCloud ID, but the verification code. Or it needs the password, and then you have to enter the verification code. In any case, make sure you have the iPad Air near you when you try this again. You have to allow on your iPad Air to use iCloud on the new device, and the code will be displayed there. This code is valid for a limited amount of time, so that’s why you might see “Your session has timed out.”

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’d try a new password and start over.
Yes, I would like to Restore to Factory Settings, but Apple tells me I need to sync iTunes to a laptop to do that, and then Restore from the laptop.

I don’t have a laptop.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks like you’re using two-factor authentication for your iCloud ID. You’ll need that verification code from your iPad Air when you use a new device (the new iPad) with your ID. In your case, the “trusted device” would be the iPad Air.

Just a thought: maybe your new device doesn’t need the password for the iCloud ID, but the verification code. Or it needs the password, and then you have to enter the verification code. In any case, make sure you have the iPad Air near you when you try this again. You have to allow on your iPad Air to use iCloud on the new device, and the code will be displayed there. This code is valid for a limited amount of time, so that’s why you might see “Your session has timed out.”
Well, J.A., maybe what you’re saying is a bit beyond my tech ability, but I can try.

Yes, I am using 2-factor authentication on my iPad Air.

The ‘Session has timed out’ appears immediately. No time allowance at all.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No

No, J.A., my new iPad wants me to sign in with my iCloud address password, which I have but doesn’t work... Thanks anyway! :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to Restore to Factory Settings, but Apple tells me I need to sync iTunes to a laptop to do that, and then Restore from the laptop.

I don’t have a laptop.
A notebook or computer might not be necessary.

If you want to set it back to factory settings, go to the iCloud ID and sign out. You will have to enter the password for that ID. If that works, you can go to Settings - General - Reset, and select “Erase all Content and Settings”.

As soon as this has been done, you’ll get the “Hello” screen, select language, country and region, ...

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I solved the problem, in a simple way. Remember ‘If your passcode is entered incorrectly 10 times, all Data & Settings will be erased and you’ll have to set it up as new’?

So, that’s what I deliberately did. I didn’t have much on it anyway, as it is a new machine. Just some videos, I believe Apple will grant me access to those again as I did pay for them. All in all, much better than a grueling road trip! :)

Thanks, J.A. and everyone...!

Most reactions

Latest posts