What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renting current movies in austalia?

johnp73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, while on the subject of movies I wondering if someone could answer my question <sorry to crash this thread> I am new to the whole iTunes thing but was wondering how much it costs. For example does the rental price of the movie include broadband usage costs? The reason I ask is because I pay $10 a GB with Optus and a HD movie say is 3GB so that would be around $30 plus the cost of the rental. surely this can not be the case can it?

thanks in advance for any clarity you can give me.
Cheers

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cost of renting is unlikely to include the cost of the download. One cost is levied by your ISP, the other by the movie rental company.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

johnp73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
The cost of renting is unlikely to include the cost of the download. One cost is levied by your ISP, the other by the movie rental company.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

so Am I on the wrong plan? Surely it must be a lot cheaper per GB to make this even start to look worthwhile.. Any suggestions on plans in that case. I am on prepaid ATM. $80 for 8gb.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada so I don't know about plans in Oz. we do have members from your part of the world though. Hopefully they'll pitch in.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
johnp73 said:
so Am I on the wrong plan? Surely it must be a lot cheaper per GB to make this even start to look worthwhile.. Any suggestions on plans in that case. I am on prepaid ATM. $80 for 8gb.

No 3G plan in Australia will give you good value. It is better if you can use wifi (ie. through your home or other broadband where Internet usage is way mr affordable. Maybe download your iTunes movie on your PC or Mac in that environment then transfer to your iPad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi to answer your question first iunes Australia is more expensive than USA iTunes but not by a huge amount.. I can give you details on how to access iTunes USA by send ing me a private message. You purchase an American iTunes card for $52 converted is about $52 Australian at this time and then you can rent a huge selection from USA iTunes. The next issue is donot even consider this if you are on 3G. You must be on broadband with wifi with at least a minimum of 20gb per month. Average Sd movie is 2 gb Hd is around 3.5 gb. Adsl2 or cable is ideal. If you have any other questions just ask.

Just for the record I cannot provide the email of my contact in the forum for obvious reasons lol. I personally have Apple TV on the USA iTunes site plus 2 iPads plus 2 iPhones and a MacBook. I can switch on the fly between USA , Australia and British iTunes stores. The British iTunes 50 pound cards can be purchased via eBay for around $70 Australian if you purchase apps all sync fine however updates require you to switch iTunes stores. It is that simple. It is not just the movies but also the music that is available. I love the foreign movies and there are many on both the USA iTunes store and British iTunes store. Have fun...

johnp73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Hi to answer your question first iunes Australia is more expensive than USA iTunes but not by a huge amount.. I can give you details on how to access iTunes USA by send ing me a private message. You purchase an American iTunes card for $52 converted is about $52 Australian at this time and then you can rent a huge selection from USA iTunes. The next issue is donot even consider this if you are on 3G. You must be on broadband with wifi with at least a minimum of 20gb per month. Average Sd movie is 2 gb Hd is around 3.5 gb. Adsl2 or cable is ideal. If you have any other questions just ask.

Just for the record I cannot provide the email of my contact in the forum for obvious reasons lol. I personally have Apple TV on the USA iTunes site plus 2 iPads plus 2 iPhones and a MacBook. I can switch on the fly between USA , Australia and British iTunes stores. The British iTunes 50 pound cards can be purchased via eBay for around $70 Australian if you purchase apps all sync fine however updates require you to switch iTunes stores. It is that simple. It is not just the movies but also the music that is available. I love the foreign movies and there are many on both the USA iTunes store and British iTunes store. Have fun...

Hey that is some great info. I will look into ADSL plans tomorrow and go from there.

Cheers

johnp73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
You are welcome enjoy our forums.

Thanks for your help everyone, just signed up for ADSL so I should be ok now, unlimited downloads.

Cheers

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to see in advance the U.S. iTunes site.?
Would likes to see what might be on offer prior to setting up !

On your computer just launch iTunes scroll down and look at bottom RH side for australian flag. Click on flag and you will see all iTunes store select USA then take a long look at music and prices. Cheers col

Most reactions

Latest posts