What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renting current movies in austalia?

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good rental site for current movies!
In Australia we seem to have a big hole ,when wanting to purchase to watch new movies on the iPad!
Any help or directions gratefully accepted!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes we do, but renting a movie from a video store is cheaper. Bigpond is doing it now, don't know if it's for the iPad though.

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iTunes is not great.
Takes ages to down load and is expensive .
Choices are very limited,and not latest releases.
When I look at the choices on net flicks etc it's so much better.
Bigpond are only to view on your computer ???
Let me know if this is incorrect?
surely there is a rental available to down load ,which you can pay for??

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after doing a bit of research on google it appears that Australia is an (online) entertainment free zone! How did that happen?

The Archangel

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not just Australia, but us here in NZ too. We fall in to the Asia-Pacific copyright zone, so have absolutely no access to Hulu, Netflix etc. it sucks. We also don't have access to as many eBooks as others may.
Because its hard to limit our large satelitte area, we can't be deferentiated from areas that pirate a lot of software media. (that's what we're told by Government peeps). In the meantime we're limited by what's on offer in iTunes... If its made available to us. For example, we can't even see the Hulu app... It says theres no such thing.

I contacted a NZ author who is very successful overseas and has a US publisher. You can walk in to any store major bookstore in the world and find her books, and she was mortified to find out that in NZ/Aus you can't buy the eBook version. It's been two years since i told her and she's still fighting for it.

So Julie, I hear ya. I go through iTunes, and I think I've watched every rental there is. I'm keen to hear of any apps we can access for this too. FYI, I got the TouchTV app by SkyGrid and can access about a quarter of the TV on there. Thou the app crashes when I try and watch a show that is not accessible here. I've had no luck with movie apps... Thank GOD for YouTube.

Last edited:
OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Christina ,I thought I was going mad.
What is a entertainment free zone Gabriel ?
Come on. Everybody ,we have money to pay for these services.
Let's keep asking loudly till somebody listens.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the benefits of living in Canada is that in a lot of respects we are considered to be part of America, so region 1 DVDs, Superbowl and all that good stuff are readily available.

Didn't I hear a rumour once that bandwidth is regulated (downwards) by the Australian government? That just surfaced through the fog that I keep between my ears so it may not be reliable.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes we have been left out in the cold Julie. There are some apps that have movies, they're not new movies but some look okay.
Haven't actually used the apps, but check them out - Crackle and Cinema are 2 I've found

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
Thanks Christina ,I thought I was going mad.
What is a entertainment free zone Gabriel ?
Come on. Everybody ,we have money to pay for these services.
Let's keep asking loudly till somebody listens.

An entertainment free zone is a zone with no entertainment (rather than a zone with free entertainment!).

The Archangel

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can set up a USA account with iTunes this has been discussed before in the Australian subforum. As for cost yes the content available is huge not only movies but also songs. Movies are less expensive on the USA iTunes even allowing for dollar exchange and commissions from whom you use. .. If you are with big pond there is NO down load cost where as with iTunes you need a solid 50 gb month minimum. I can point you how to access iTunes USA. Just send a pm. Ok. As for other services they are covered by copy right and it does not matter if you have a million dollars you cannot access those sites from Australia. Options do exist however we cannot discuss them in this forum

Regard down load you need a fast Internet connection either Adsl2 or cable you may not have that I don't know. Let me know where you live in Aus your type of modem and model number plus what plan you are on. I use Apple tv 1st generation , iPad 2 via wifi and have no problems down loading any thing to the Mac, Apple TV or iPad and iPhones plus iPod touch so your issue may be what you connect with and nothing to do with the iPad.

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there anyway to see in advance the U.S. iTunes site.?
Would likes to see what might be on offer prior to setting up !

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an App called AppsMosaic as it can show the top Apps by country -both paid and free, and for all the categories. It's pretty useful!

Most reactions

Latest posts