What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Jailbreak

kevinthemovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recently got an iPad running the iOS 4.2.1. I jailbroke it earlier today, not knowing that there were so many problems with it. I haven't experienced any of the problems on here and I haven't downloaded anything from cydia. I have, however, bought a few paid apps from the default App Store. How can I remove the jailbreak and keep all of my apps I previously had?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a restore with iTunes and it will remove the jailbreak. And it you already paid for the app then you don't have to pay for it if you download it after you restore. And iTunes will back it up anyway.

OP
K

kevinthemovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. When I restore using itunes should I restore to factory settings or from last backup?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to not have to download the apps on the iPad restore from a backup. But if you want a clean slate, restore to factory settings.

fredsmith219

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I do a restore to factory settings, does that wipe out all evidence of a jailbreak? I.E., can Apple detect that it was jailbroken and refuse warranty service?

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I jailbroken my 4.2.1 and installed a few Cydia apps is it also safe to restore from backup (iTunes)? I hope so, but I am very confused now as many posts tell about SHSH keys which I do not have and cannot obtain for 4.2.1 anymore.

Can you confirm a more generic theis: One can do whatever like with iPad untill it works and iTunes can Restore backup on it. After restore all data is restored like bit copy of the whole filesystem.

I keep fingers crossed that it is true

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jail breaking doesn't mess up devices. It's only when u download and install something from cydia from which u did no research on that problems occur. I never had one issue jail breaking and done it several times since I got my iPad back in July. So it's kinda false to say there are problems associated with jail breaking. There are none. Only User Errors..lmao
If u wish to go back to restricted OEM access, just wipe clean and restore. U can still get ur apps back n apple would never be able to tell u jailbroke in the first place.
Jailbroken iPads run wayy better thn stock. With all the speed n usability tweaks, Jailbreak is the way to go.
Research 1st. Don't go jumping into the deep end without lookin and knowing how to swim. So for the record, there are no problems associated with jail breaking, only problems with what YOU did afterwards ;-) u can't go trying to install any and everything from cydia..lol

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I am not going to try whatever on my iPad. To be honest, I just get into the idea that some of the apps on Cydia are really trustworthy. I was on business trip recently and by chance I was talking all way long with some experienced jailbreak'er on the plane. Few days after I explored Big Boss apps and somehow it get me convinced to go for it :)

I was asking about restoring just in case I will need to upgrade to 4.3 or newer for any reason or claiming warranty.

Stock 4.2 OS is quite good for me. The only problem it has, from my perspective, is the multitasking "crap". The device cannot handle multitasking with so limited resources yet it clutter all the apps in background. Just saw on youtube how it is handled in 4.3 and I am very disappointed - it is still long way from being usefull. Besides I really doubt the wisedom to upgrade into an OS designed to run on a dev with twice as much RAM and twice the processing power inspite whatever the manufacturer claims. Just like we were being triced to install Vista some time ago :D

Anyway no point to elaborate the reasons. Thanks again for clarification on the backups. I feel somehow more safe with modding my iPad :)

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just removed the jailbreak and can share that it was not so easy, it was holding my breath for a while...

Playning with cydia apps (most rated ones all over the forum) I found places when my iPad gets frozen. Besides 99% of the apps are iPhone oriented and looks ugly on iPad so I just decided to get rid of it.

I found on some posts that simple restoring via iTunes will not remove cydia apps from the iPad and they will eat space indefinitely :confused: so before restoring I uninstalled everything from cydia including cydia itself - that was bad! From that point I was left with little silver apple on the screen :( Hopefully there is DFU restore mode (google how to turn it on...) and I got new clean iOS on my iPad.

Now there is another big dissapointment although I now have 4.3 there is no multitasking gestures :confused: I just found on the web that it is not any problem of my iPad, apple really decided to not release it to consumers. Now I am waiting for proper jailbreak for 4.3 or update of official multitasking gestures. At least backgrounder and activator from cydia worked perfectly.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I laughed when u said u uninstalled cydia itself..lmfao. U did good uninstalling the other stuff but when u restore, the cydia app will get deleted. I posted about that earlier about how jailbroken apps data will remain in ur device still eating up memory space unless u uninstall them b4 the restore. Glad to hear u found out about DFU mode and got a clean iOS install.
For the record, multitouch gestures is only avai. On developers version of iOS 4.3. Apple allowed them to test it out. It's locked within iOS for normal users. There is an article in Gizmodo or Redmondpie that describes how to go about getting multitouch gestures.
I felt the same way to when I first jailbroke or really everytime..lmao mim like man, I hope I donfpt f$&@ up my iPad. Cuz I wouldn't be able to take it to the apple store to get fixed. Thankfully we have hard reset and DFU mode to get us out of trouble. With cydia apps, u have to wait till description loads fully and thoroughly inspect it to make sure it'll run on iPad also. If not, u could get ur iPad into trouble downloading and installing something not meant for it. I had that happen once months ago n got myself outta that jam. Lol I learned my lesson n very weary now about what I download n install from cydia. ;-)

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess some "category" or "tested on" should be required field for all cydia apps so you could filter by your current iOS and device. I bet that if I could downgrade my iPad to 3.2 than all the cydia tweeks will run like at home :) Community developers do not have enough hardware to test their work properly so it's always ~10% chance something will not work on your version.

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, it's a serious bug in Cydia that it allows to uninstall itself if it is required on jailbroken idevice. I cannot guess what was the reason to allow doing that :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts