What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote desktop

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.0.1 on my iPad 2? My husband needs to connect to is PC and we were told to use this software, but when I read the system requirements, it does not specify if I can use for iPad. Any suggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not use Mac software on the iPad. They are two different operating systems. To find apps that work on the iPad you look in the App Store, either on the iPad or in iTunes on the computer.

Splashtop is probably the most popular choice of remote desktop control for the iPad. It is fairly cheap (for a remote desktop solutions) and the desktop clients are free.

But, if you have to have Microsoft Remote Desktop compatibility, there are solutions for that too. A quick search shows Desktop Connect has decent reviews. I'm sure there are others.

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using m$ remote desktop on your Mac to connect to your pc, you're using the RDP protocol...which the equivalent iOS app would be PocketCloud from Wyse or any other RDP app.

Though you could remote control using SplashTop. It's a great app however it doesn't use RDP, you just have to install the host software which is free. SplashTop is good for remoting into a pc within your internal network. It even ports the sound to the iPad!
However, if you're looking for someone to connect to a work computer or server on the outside that uses RDP such as windows terminal services or Citrix, the PocketCloud is the right app for you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to mention that the latest version of Splashtop connects to a PC from outside the local network too. There's no complex setup procedure either. You simply tell the iPad app and the PC client your gmail address and Splashtop does the rest, no 'complex' port forwarding - it just works.

Tim

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Just to mention that the latest version of Splashtop connects to a PC from outside the local network too. There's no complex setup procedure either. You simply tell the iPad app and the PC client your gmail address and Splashtop does the rest, no 'complex' port forwarding - it just works.

Tim

Sweet! I didn't realize it did that...still, it does require you to install their sw. So it all depends on the situation. I use PocketCloud to connect to the terminal server at work, and splash top to my pc at home if I want to watch a movie or flash or something.
Though on REAL good tool I've been dying to get is the Logmein iPad app. The price hasn't dropped significantly enough for me to get it just yet. Reg price is 29.99, sale price 19.99....I'm kinda hoping it will drop below $10 ^_^
Logmein is a great IT admin tool

Most reactions

Latest posts