What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recording widescreen in iMovie

Footynutguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to record blogs using iMovie but it records them in 4:3. Is there any way to grt it to record in 16:9?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're using the front facing camera, aren't you?

This camera is VGA only, so no 16:9 output is possible (unless iMovie clipped or stretched the video (which it won't)). To get HD videos with the 16:9 aspect you'll have to use the back camera; which means no checking out how you look while blogging.

Interestingly if you mix HD and VGA clips you can output an HD movie. You just get black bars on the sides as well as top and bottom when viewing (if not zoomed in).

OP
F

Footynutguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're using the front facing camera, aren't you?

This camera is VGA only, so no 16:9 output is possible (unless iMovie clipped or stretched the video (which it won't)). To get HD videos with the 16:9 aspect you'll have to use the back camera; which means no checking out how you look while blogging.

Interestingly if you mix HD and VGA clips you can output an HD movie. You just get black bars on the sides as well as top and bottom when viewing (if not zoomed in).

Thanks for that. I was afraid that was the answer :( I will just have to see if I can work something out with the back camera. Maybe I will have to vlog by a mirror :(

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the rear camera on the iPad 16:9? I think it is more like the shape of the screen, 4:3.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Is the rear camera on the iPad 16:9? I think it is more like the shape of the screen, 4:3.

No,if you shoot a video with the rear facing camera,the aspect ratio of the resulting video is 1.78:1(16:9).I just tested it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No,if you shoot a video with the rear facing camera,the aspect ratio of the resulting video is 1.78:1(16:9).I just tested it.

Yes, you are correct. I had mine set to zoom the movie to full screen. I was testing out iMovie.

Perhaps the OP has his set to zoom if he is using the rear camera.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Yes, you are correct. I had mine set to zoom the movie to full screen. I was testing out iMovie.

Perhaps the OP has his set to zoom if he is using the rear camera.

No,from reading the posts in this thread,it is evident that the op was asking about videos shot with the front camera.He was inquiring about why the videos he shot for his blog were full screen instead of widescreen.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I was afraid that was the answer :( I will just have to see if I can work something out with the back camera. Maybe I will have to vlog by a mirror :(

No Problem.

If I may suggest, use the back camera directly, but place a mirror behind it so that you can keep an eye on your appearance. You'll have to compensate for the lift right swap, but that's better than having any text or other things you record getting mirrored.

If you use the camera app to shoot instead iMovie the start stop button is larger and on the side of the screen; easier to reach around and tap than in iMovie. The only cost is one more step in iMovie, to add the clip to the timeline.

Good luck with your vlog.

Most reactions

Latest posts