What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recharging battery

Rugcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to recharge my iPad in the motorhome when not on mains power. Have tried doing it on a 300W inverter but won't work. Anyone know what I need?

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just get a USB to 12v adapter, like you'd use in a car cig lighter. Then just plug in to a 12v plug and charge off that. We had one in the kitchen of our travel trailer and used to charge phones off it all the time.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea why your inverter wouldn't work. I've been using a 200w iTec inverter in my truck for over a year, using it to charge an iPad 2, a MacBookPro and a couple of phones. I also have my VHF radio plugged in. It has performed flawlessly. The only proviso is that the USB output will not charge the iPad. It is necessary to use one of the 110v supplies for that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to be able to recharge my iPad in the motorhome when not on mains power. Have tried doing it on a 300W inverter but won't work. Anyone know what I need?

Are you using the 120V outlet with the iPad's wall charger, or some included USB port. Just because the inverter is rated for 300W does not mean the USB port supplies the necessary 10W to quickly charge an iPad. Most older USB ports supply less than half that.

Otherwise, Fred's suggestion of using a 12V to USB adaptor should work fine. Make sure the adaptor says it supplies at least 10W (2A at 5V, aprox), or specifically says it will charge iPads.

OP
R

Rugcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no prob recharging ph or shavers etc or even laptop but not the iPad.

OP
R

Rugcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the inverter plugged into cigarette lighter. Should that be ok?

OP
R

Rugcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a bit. Out of my depth here, but I'm in nz and I would think it would be the same as oz. 12 v cig lighter, inverting to .... Ummm, 240 v?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad chargers accept input voltage between ~100 to 250 volts so the locale is immaterial. What is important, as Twerppoet says, is that you are using the necessary power. Voltage is an amount of electricity, watts is the force it is supplied at.

geoff2107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a 240 box which plugs into a 12v supply. Can charge laptop and everything with it.

Most reactions

Latest posts