What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad Decided To Permanently Sleep

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2. Last week I went to charge it and six hours later it was at 74%. Used it then recharged overnight. 24%. Recharged to 24%. Used until 5% then recharged. 5% is as high as it goes. New cord didn't help.

I'm assuming battery died. What are my choices? Buy new one, have it diagnosed and fixed for $300 or ....?

Unlike my PC, I can't open it and change batteries. Apple was/is wise. Can't upgrade or self-fix so pay lots to fix or get new

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you decide, Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free, as is a full diagnostic.
Have you tried using your iPad until it goes into low power shutdown? If not, try it, then plug it into the charger and leave it for several hours without using it. Does that make any difference?

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I can't get to a store. I tried low power but it still wouldn't charge.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different charger as well as the new charging cable you tried?
If your battery really is dying, the iPad 2 isn't worth the cost of repair as a newer iPad will do so much more.
BTW, Apple charges $99.00 Plus $6.95 shipping to replace the battery but you'll still have an old iPad that doesn't have the capabilities of a more modern unit. Here's the Apple site. iPad Battery & Power - Official Apple Support

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think your best plan is to buy a new one if this one fails. The iPad 2 is quite an old device and does not support the latest operating system. You don't have to buy the very latest model and there are often good deals available.

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With 2% I can't get a backup. And with amnesia I can't remember the apps I had.

I think I'm going to have nightmares about this. There is so much on there I need.

I'm looking for a new iPad. I posted a thread for recommendations

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about remembering the apps you had.
When you get the new iPad you can simply download them again in Purchased.

This is free by the way, You won't have to buy them again.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think iPad batteries are only made to take a certain number of charge cycles before they weaken. Perhaps yours being a older model has reached its end point. Im kinda a novice when it comes to iPads and tablets over all but from other information ive gathered and found on the internet im only assuming this is so.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't worry about remembering the apps you had.
When you get the new iPad you can simply download them again in Purchased.

This is free by the way, You won't have to buy them again.

Don't panic! Plug the iPad in then Go to iCloud in settings - Backup - Tap backup now then put the iPad to sleep. Don't touch it for at least an hour.

@ iPadSquirrel - not having a valid recent backup may not cost you your apps, as stated by Poisonivy, but you will lose settings and most importantly data stored w/i their 'sandboxes' on your current iPad 2. Also, when Apple 'fixes' a battery issue, you are likely to receive a refurbished model that would have to be restored from a backup to recover your important information.

As to a DIY battery replacement, the pic below is from iFixit describing the procedure as difficult - they are selling a battery for $40; plus, you would likely need to invest in a similar amount in the tools required (as shown to the left) - having owned an iPad 2, the device is ready to be recycled - NOW, I hope that Jupiter's advice above works and that you can backup to the cloud. Good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.33.54 AM.png

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all. Apple told me three different calls later that for $99.95 it could be fixed with a new battery. Yesterday they said nope, they'll replace it. With no backup (it just never finishes as my WiFi lasts thirty minutes then login again) I'm stuck. Somehow I got an incredibly kind supervisor who offered to replace it and waived all fees. I was happy yet sad. In frustration I decided to try an old charger cord (I'd bought two new ones to no avail). Plugged it in for five hours. 74%!!!!!! My lil tail wagged all night lol I'll do an iPad-to-laptop backup via iTunes as suggested by Apple. Hopefully this will backup all apps and notes and settings. THEN I'll ship it off to iPad heaven and get an identical model so I can restore all. So things are looking bright for a change.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear you are on your way to getting things resolved.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Me, too! I just need to be sure a backup includes all apps, settings, files, notes and anything else I can't lose.

SO, just to clarify - using the 'other' charger enabled you to backup the iPad to iTunes - correct? Then you will send your iPad in for a replacement - correct? The next step is when you receive the replacement, then a restore from your backup will be needed, hopefully your restoration backup is indeed complete - as to what is backed up to iTunes, check this LINK - you should be fine if the backup made is valid. Dave :)

Most reactions