What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Jailbreak Question (Please Help)

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here's my dilemma.

I recently posted another thread in which I was worried about plugging my Ipad2 into my computer because I thought it would wipe everything off of it.

Luckily I disabled auto-sync but that still wasn't the case. I was able to retain my Ipad2 as it is and I synced all the apps with my iTunes account.

Now I was about to Jailbreak it via JailbreakMe 3.0, but it said I should do a backup first.

So I was going to do that but it says to do that I have to update to 4.3.5. I don't want to do that because then I won't be able to jailbreak in the first place.

Aside from having my apps synced, is there any reason or need I have for doing a full backup, like essential info? I figure if it screws up that I will just restore it and then reinstall the apps from my itunes and reimport my music. Aside from that I don't know what else I would need to back up.

Just let me know if I need to back it up or if I can go along and download the cydia app thing.

Thanks

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backup is for when you don't really have the time to reinstall your apps manually. It saves whatever you have on the iPad real quick. But hey, if you said that you can actually manually install everything you have in case your iPad gets messed up, go for it. You can just jailbreak now. :)

OP
S

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean I would rather not spend the time but if it's necessary it's necessary.

Unless do you know of a way to backup the Ipad2 without updating it?

I know that there is the sync button in the bottom left of iTunes, but if I click that it just syncs what I've already authorized it to sync correct? I've already synced all of my apps, and as for music, my itunes music is so ****ed up it would be easier to just reload all my music manually.

What chu think?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So have you ever saved SHSH? If not, then you are out of luck. You would have to go and delete all your info from mail, safari, and your apps manually so your info doesn't stay but the jailbreak does.

OP
S

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I don't think I've ever saved SHSH.

I don't really care about deleting all my info from my mail. I have my mail accounts on my computer and all I would have to do would be re enter my email and password right?

Safari/websites same thing.. and I already synced all my apps. I know re-inputing all the info would be a ***** but honestly I thought that I was going to have to do all that anyway because I reformatted my computer so it's like new.

Unless you're saying that if I jailbreak it I won't be able to restore my Ipad2 to per-jailbreak mode. In that case I think I'll play it safe.

edit: Is there any way for me to currently save the SHSH?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean I would rather not spend the time but if it's necessary it's necessary.

Unless do you know of a way to backup the Ipad2 without updating it?

I know that there is the sync button in the bottom left of iTunes, but if I click that it just syncs what I've already authorized it to sync correct? I've already synced all of my apps, and as for music, my itunes music is so ****ed up it would be easier to just reload all my music manually.

What chu think?

You can backup the iPad to iTunes before your jail break. The key is, you don't use the Sync button.

After connecting your iPad, right click on it's line. Then select "Transfer Purchases." That's to tell iTunes what apps you have on the iPad. It'll make iTunes match the iPad.

Then, once that's complete, right click again on the iPad line and select "Backup." iTunes will do it's magic and backup your iPad. It'll save things like your e-mail info, contacts, Notes, etc.

Then, once everything is backed up, you can go to that web site and run JailbreakMe 3.0. Once that's complete, you'll have a jailbroke iPad that looks exactly like a stock one, except it'll have the Cydia icon. The creator of the jail break has you back up only just in case. If it wasn't for the Cydia app, you'd never know it was jail broke...

You can always run the transfer purchases and backup options through iTunes. It just won't save the jail break stuff - but it'll do fine with App Store/stock apps.

Just always make sure you never accept the option to upgrade (I've turned my new notices off ... no sense tempting fate with accidental button pushes!).

Oh, and once you do jailbreak - watch out for tweaks and such. Only install the ones you know work well (check out the posts on this forum). I say that because if you install something that makes your iPad go hinky enough to need a restore - you won't be able to go back to 4.3.3 without those SHSH blobs. You'll only get 4.3.5, which is not jail breakable on the iPad2.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
S

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I transferred purchases but did not backup yet.

Also is there any way for me to save the SHSH blobs?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
S

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok sounds good. One last question. Do I need to save the blobs before I download cydia? Or can I download cydia and then save blobs later?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't matter when you do it. Pre-jailbreak or post-jailbreak. Just preferably ASAP. Especially when a new software version comes out.

OP
S

skeeto111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. I backed up my ipad2 and saved the SHSH. Then I jailbroke it!

Success.

Most reactions

Latest posts