What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak my iPad 2 WiFi only

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the iPad2 16Gb WiFi only recently, my first Apple product. Have experience with Android before this. I am ready to jailbreak the iPad, hope there is no issue to do this in the WiFi only model. It has iOS 5.1.1 and I have not upgraded to 6.
I have already registered with an Apple Id, setup iTunes on my laptop and backed up my iPad, so I think I am ready to go. But I have a few queries :

1) I have downloaded Absinthe 2.0.4. Is it just as simple as connecting the iPad, opening Absinthe and then clicking "Jailbreak"? Or is there anything more I need to do?
2) After Jailbreaking, I understand that iTunes will work as it is and backup the "official" apps. So I can regularly backup my iPad with iTunes. In case if I restore from iTunes, will I lose the Cydia apps? Will I have to Jalbreak again?
3) How to backup Cydia apps?
4) Is there any software which will backup both Apps Store and Cydia apps?

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the meantime, I read the sticky on saving blobs. Though I a not sure I understand fully, should I save the blobs before Jailbreaking? I have downloaded TinyUmbrella. Can I save the blobs after jailbreaking also?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend you use the latest redsn0w, rather than absinthe. That is just my personal preference, but I have had fewer problems with redsnow. Both tools perform the same jailbreak via a single click of the "jailbreak" button.

iTunes and everything else about your iPad will continue to work as normal after you jailbreak. If you have to restore the device via iTunes you will not be able to restore 5.1.1. You will be forced to restore the latest IOS, which is 6.0.1 at the moment. You needs saved SHSH Blobs for 5.1.1 to avoid this, but you do not have those and cannot get them now. Under normal circumstances however, you should not need to restore your device.

To backup your Cydia apps, tweaks, and settings, you can use a tool such as PKGBackup. See our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html. There is no way to get the standard iTunes or iCloud backup to include your Cydia packages. You need to use something separate like PKGBackup. Other tools are available too, but that is my preference.

You can save your blobs at any time. They have nothing to do with what is on your device or whether it is jailbroken or not. Your blobs come straight from Apple servers. The only blobs you are entitled to today are 6.0.1. You can't get any other ones. It is worthwhile saving them when you get a chance because you never know what use they might be in the future.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Good luck!

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend you use the latest redsn0w, rather than absinthe. That is just my personal preference, but I have had fewer problems with redsnow. Both tools perform the same jailbreak via a single click of the "jailbreak" button.

iTunes and everything else about your iPad will continue to work as normal after you jailbreak. If you have to restore the device via iTunes you will not be able to restore 5.1.1. You will be forced to restore the latest IOS, which is 6.0.1 at the moment. You needs saved SHSH Blobs for 5.1.1 to avoid this, but you do not have those and cannot get them now. Under normal circumstances however, you should not need to restore your device.

To backup your Cydia apps, tweaks, and settings, you can use a tool such as PKGBackup. See our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html. There is no way to get the standard iTunes or iCloud backup to include your Cydia packages. You need to use something separate like PKGBackup. Other tools are available too, but that is my preference.

You can save your blobs at any time. They have nothing to do with what is on your device or whether it is jailbroken or not. Your blobs come straight from Apple servers. The only blobs you are entitled to today are 6.0.1. You can't get any other ones. It is worthwhile saving them when you get a chance because you never know what use they might be in the future.

Thanks for expaining. I will download redsn0w also and decide.
I did not understand one thing. I have backed up my iPad to iTunes, it is iOS 5.1.1. If I restore now for some reason, will it not get restored as 5.1.1? Will it go to 6.0.1? Or is that problem only if I jailbreak? Can I restore offline, or an internet connection is needed?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jesrani said:
Thanks for expaining. I will download redsn0w also and decide.
I did not understand one thing. I have backed up my iPad to iTunes, it is iOS 5.1.1. If I restore now for some reason, will it not get restored as 5.1.1? Will it go to 6.0.1? Or is that problem only if I jailbreak? Can I restore offline, or an internet connection is needed?

There is a way to re-restore iOS 5.1.1 on an iPad 2, but it requires that you have blobs for iOS 5.1.1, which you don't have. In this case, the only version of iOS you can restore to would be iOS 6.0.1.
Restoring requires an Internet connection. With a jail broken iPad, you need to be connected to iTunes on your computer, with the supplied docking cable.

Last edited:
OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I get it now. First I need to Jailbreak. I have downloaded Absinthe 2.0.4, is this version ok? Or should I use any older version?
Which version of redsn0w to use, if I decide on that?
How to really decide between Ansinthe and redsn0w?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:

To backup your Cydia apps, tweaks, and settings, you can use a tool such as PKGBackup. See our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/60220-how-use-pkgbackup-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html. There is no way to get the standard iTunes or iCloud backup to include your Cydia packages. You need to use something separate like PKGBackup. Other tools are available too, but that is my preference.

jesrani said:
Ok, I get it now. First I need to Jailbreak. I have downloaded Absinthe 2.0.4, is this version ok? Or should I use any older version?
Which version of redsn0w to use, if I decide on that?
How to really decide between Ansinthe and redsn0w?

I recommend you follow the excellent advice given by f4780y in his post, quoted here.

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, if that is the latest version offered on the Dev-Team blog (blog.iphone-Dev.org).

Marilyn

I had some problem with redsn0w, first had trouble going into DFU mode,then got some unspecified error. Tried Absinthe and it worked flawlessly. Now I have a jailbroken iPad :)

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it done.

Hurray! Glad it worked out for you. :)

Marilyn

Thanks to this forum :thumbs:
Installed some apps from Cydia. First instinct is to install many apps and themes but I don't want to do that much. Better to have a simple look with more performance.

Is installation of "hacked" Cydia sources discussed here. I saw there are many available easily on net. It's probably illegal.

I see that many of the apps on Cydia are paid. Also there are just too many. Is there a website which gives a list of the best free Cydia apps.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jesrani said:
Thanks to this forum :thumbs:
Installed some apps from Cydia. First instinct is to install many apps and themes but I don't want to do that much. Better to have a simple look with more performance.

Is installation of "hacked" Cydia sources discussed here. I saw there are many available easily on net. It's probably illegal.

I see that many of the apps on Cydia are paid. Also there are just too many. Is there a website which gives a list of the best free Cydia apps.

Discussion of hacked apps, how to obtain them, or anything else that's hacked, is not allowed on these forums. Using such apps would be piracy and is nothing more than theft.

Last edited:
OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Discussion of hacked apps, how to obtain them, or anything else that's hacked, is not allowed on these forums. Using such apps would be piracy and is nothing more than theft.

I agree to that. Is there a list of good Cydia free apps?

Most reactions

Latest posts