What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarification about a couple of possible scenarios after jailbreaking Ipad 2

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need clarification about a couple of possible scenarios after jailbreaking my Ipad 2 that I have been unable to find on this forum. Before jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com I created a IOS 4.3.3 shsh blob with tiny umbrella. I also did a sync and backup with itunes before going to jailbreakme.com.

If I needed to un-jailbreak my Ipad, I have read that I have to enter DFU mode and restore the stock IOS version. Would I then restore the Itunes backup that was done before jailbreaking to get everything back to the way it was before jailbreaking the Ipad?

On the subject of Itunes backups, Itunes seems to store your most recent 2 backups and it does a backup on every sync. Will my Cydia apps be included in these backups, and how can I keep my last backup before jailbreaking from being overwritten as new ones are created if it is indeed needed to restore the Ipad to it's pre-jailbreak state?

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to restore then simply choose restore in iTunes. ITunes will put your iPad in dfu mode automatically. It will then after the restore to factory defaults ask if you want to also restore the backup that was made. Choose yes and all of your content will be restored. Please note that no cydia apps will be restored simply because they are never backed up in iTunes in the first place.

You must create an account in cydia to purchase apps. Using your account you can then restore all purchased apps and free apps never become purchased apps in the future so you can just simply click and reinstall them as well. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is an automated means of restoring everything in cydia.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
johnl316 said:
If you need to restore then simply choose restore in iTunes. ITunes will put your iPad in dfu mode automatically.

That's not correct John. DFU is a special mode which can only be entered via a key combination. Read our sticky on the subject.

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
That's not correct John. DFU is a special mode which can only be entered via a key combination. Read our sticky on the subject.

f4780y, I would appreciate your comments on my original post and points of clarification.

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
johnl316 said:
There is an app in cydia called PKGBackup this app saves all your cydia tweaks and apps.

Thank you johnl316 for your responses.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not Leigh, but if I'll do, I'll answer your specific points.

I need clarification about a couple of possible scenarios after jailbreaking my Ipad 2 that I have been unable to find on this forum. Before jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com I created a IOS 4.3.3 shsh blob with tiny umbrella. I also did a sync and backup with itunes before going to jailbreakme.com.

If I needed to un-jailbreak my Ipad, I have read that I have to enter DFU mode and restore the stock IOS version. Would I then restore the Itunes backup that was done before jailbreaking to get everything back to the way it was before jailbreaking the Ipad?

Yes. After you've restored the stock iOS 4.3.3, iTunes will prompt you to either start as if the iPad was new or restore from backup. If you select from backup, everything goes back to the way it was before.

On the subject of Itunes backups, Itunes seems to store your most recent 2 backups and it does a backup on every sync. Will my Cydia apps be included in these backups, and how can I keep my last backup before jailbreaking from being overwritten as new ones are created if it is indeed needed to restore the Ipad to it's pre-jailbreak state?

Cydia tweaks will not be saved to the iTunes backup. As johnl316 said, there's a tweak/app in Cydia called PKGBackup that's a very good product to buy and use. It'll back up all your tweaks (to include their settings) and you can set it to save to your Contacts or to Dropbox. Then, if needed, it's a very simple "restore from backup" to get your iPad back to where it was before you needed to run restore.

What you may want to do is save the backup you ran just before jailbreaking in another place on your computer. The Windows address is to where iTunes stores the backups is: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. Just go get it and copy it to a place you choose.

This is because, hopefully, you will be running backups on a regular basis (it's good practice) and that original will get overwritten/deleted. Now, generally speaking, jailbroken tweaks don't get saved to iTunes, so any backups after the jailbreak will be fine and can be used to restore an UNjailbroken iPad. But, if you want to be absolutely certain no jailbreak remains, save that original backup elsewhere.

Hope this helped.

Marilyn

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much Marilyn for your response. Your answers are very detailed and very helpful.

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, great help...thanks! How can one determine while file is the most recent backup? They have weird names.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're in Windows and have the files showing in Windows Explorer, there should be a column titled "Date modified" for each backup listed. The most recent date should be the one that's most current...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts