What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Pages, Numbers

Stardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When my Ipad2 arrives I intend to use it to interface with my PC off location and therefore Outlook and Office...Do I still need Pages and Numbers? This is the first Apple I will own. Also I want to sync to my Blackberry ( and Outlook contacts )

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forget Office

But Pages will open and store .doc and .docx files for you. Numbers will handle your Office spreadsheets.

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Syncing doesn't really happen. It's more a case of storing / emailing multiple copies / versions to your various devices.

It can / does work (I'm an academic, I've created 65ish new documents up to 25,000 words since getting it), but it isn't as smooth as smooth can be. It's definitely a case of laying patches over patches, rather than a seamless syncing experience.

Having said that, for a mobile device pages and numbers are pretty awesome. (just so long as you don't need inferentials or footnotes ;))

OP
S

Stardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am really new at this, and would like to see the comparison you mention...but I don't see where this thread is located! I orig posted to iPad2 forum but was moved ( It said this post was moved) But didn't say where to! I saw your reply by clicking my orig post and still don't see the name of this thread so I can't see any other posts related.
I hate being the new kid on the block.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the underlined Hi All! link. But if that did not work, try this link instead.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Sorry, for some reason I'm fighting with links in the forum today. Nothing is working as normal. I've put the link in quotes. You should be able to copy and paste it into your browser's URL bar.

Update: Editing the URL in the iPF app to see if that helps.

No difference, but the link is working for me, both on the computer and in the app (though it takes you to the web site, and not to the normal thread view).

Last edited:
OP
S

Stardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great- I went to Hi All and found very useful info there. An here I thought you were just saying howdy to everyone! I'm getting a good idea of which apps will serve -primarily business usage.

Jay Marvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have this problem? I find Pages to be unstable. The keyboard will drop down without warning, it's hard to get curser to point at
The end of a sentence,and I swear I can't figure out how to have template ready to go for my next document. Can anyone help?' sorry if these questions have been covered.

Jay Marvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jay Marvin said:
Does anyone have this problem? I find Pages to be unstable. The keyboard will drop down without warning, it's hard to get curser to point at
The end of a sentence,and I swear I can't figure out how to have template ready to go for my next document. Can anyone help?' sorry if these questions have been covered.

Your welcome. Now where's my answers!:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are having keyboard problems (if you still are), but the usual fix for unstable behavior in an app is to restart or reset the iPad.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

And if that does not work to delete and reinstall the app. Make sure your've saved your documents off somewhere else before the last option.

For accurate cursor placement, tap and hold until the magnifying glass shows up, then drag your finger. Sometimes (depending on font size) a slight rocking of the finger will help with touchy placement.

You'll need to expand on what you mean by having templates ready. The only true templates are the ones included in the app. The best you can do is to duplicate you've formatted the way you want. You do this by going into Edit mode in the document view, selecting the document, then tapping the double_box_plus sign icon at the top left. I find it handy to create a separate folder just for these sudo-templates, so that I don't get them confused.

Or you can save it in DropBox, iTunes, or other other offline storage and import it again each time you need it.

There are lots of discussions on Numbers, Pages, and Keynote in the iWork area of the Forum. It's worth going through.

slaba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages footnotes

Hey all,

I have an annoying problem in Pages: the footnotes don't appear on the page in which they are written, but rather 2, 3, or more pages later. I even had some footnotes mysteriously missing until I changed the format to endnotes, where they all reappeared. The endnotes are ok but I'm writing a long paper and it's really inconvenient to have to jump to the end of the document and back to make changes in my notes, so I'd really like to get the footnotes working properly. I tried to re-create the document several times, and since I'm away from home and don't have a mac with Pages on which I could do any editing, I even changed the format to .doc and looked at it in Word on a PC, where everything was perfect. This hasn't happened to me before. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try clearing Pages from RAM, and see what happens. No other ideas, but I'll poke around and see if something occurs to me.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

Most reactions

Latest posts