Question about Pages, Numbers

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by Stardog, May 24, 2011.

1. Stardog

Stardog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When my Ipad2 arrives I intend to use it to interface with my PC off location and therefore Outlook and Office...Do I still need Pages and Numbers? This is the first Apple I will own. Also I want to sync to my Blackberry ( and Outlook contacts )

2. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Forget Office

But Pages will open and store .doc and .docx files for you. Numbers will handle your Office spreadsheets.

3. mrquod

mrquod
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Syncing doesn't really happen. It's more a case of storing / emailing multiple copies / versions to your various devices.

It can / does work (I'm an academic, I've created 65ish new documents up to 25,000 words since getting it), but it isn't as smooth as smooth can be. It's definitely a case of laying patches over patches, rather than a seamless syncing experience.

Having said that, for a mobile device pages and numbers are pretty awesome. (just so long as you don't need inferentials or footnotes ;))

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
  5. Stardog

Stardog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am really new at this, and would like to see the comparison you mention...but I don't see where this thread is located! I orig posted to iPad2 forum but was moved ( It said this post was moved) But didn't say where to! I saw your reply by clicking my orig post and still don't see the name of this thread so I can't see any other posts related.
    I hate being the new kid on the block.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    It's the underlined Hi All! link. But if that did not work, try this link instead.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Sorry, for some reason I'm fighting with links in the forum today. Nothing is working as normal. I've put the link in quotes. You should be able to copy and paste it into your browser's URL bar.

Update: Editing the URL in the iPF app to see if that helps.

No difference, but the link is working for me, both on the computer and in the app (though it takes you to the web site, and not to the normal thread view).

#6 twerppoet, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. Stardog

Stardog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Great- I went to Hi All and found very useful info there. An here I thought you were just saying howdy to everyone! I'm getting a good idea of which apps will serve -primarily business usage.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The link was not broke! What a relief. I though I was having some kind of mental breakdown. ;)

9. Jay Marvin

Jay Marvin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone have this problem? I find Pages to be unstable. The keyboard will drop down without warning, it's hard to get curser to point at
    The end of a sentence,and I swear I can't figure out how to have template ready to go for my next document. Can anyone help?' sorry if these questions have been covered.

10. Jay Marvin

Jay Marvin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Your welcome. Now where's my answers!:)