What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMac, iPad and iWork.

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallo all

I'm planning on getting an iMac to replace my old Windows PC. I currently use Microsoft Office but am happy to switch totally to Apple's offerings. I was wondering just how compatible the iPad programmes, especially Pages and Numbers, are between the two devices. For example if I was to edit a spreadsheet via Dropbox, on my iPad would this happen seamlessly or are they slightly different.

Also is there and equivalent to the Office database, Access?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallo all

I'm planning on getting an iMac to replace my old Windows PC. I currently use Microsoft Office but am happy to switch totally to Apple's offerings. I was wondering just how compatible the iPad programmes, especially Pages and Numbers, are between the two devices. For example if I was to edit a spreadsheet via Dropbox, on my iPad would this happen seamlessly or are they slightly different.

Also is there and equivalent to the Office database, Access?

Thanks

Pages, Keynote and Numbers are stripped down versions of their iWorks counterparts and offer about 90% compatability with their Microsoft counterparts. There are other offerings too and a Forum member did a review of them for his company and he gives us that in this thread

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

In addition, Pages, Numbers and Keynote have a series of Help pages that you can see their capabilities....

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

I've found that all exported documents are 100% compatible but they will struggle with complex formatted imported documents. There are some notable omissions from them too, but there are workarounds for most of the deficiencies.

Tim

OP
C

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Tim. That sounds good I just want to be able to edit a document on both devices without to many problems.

Most reactions