What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about backups

Perenista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, do you know if it's possible to make a complete backup from all contents stored in ipad 4? In the event I lose my ipad or am forced to exchange the battery and Apple sends me a new equipment, will I be able to do a complete backup and later reinsert those same contents?

Please note I am talking about:

- all contents stored in Ibooks. I have 23 GB there;
- all from other apps such as tdownloader and ipad's "videos" (can't think of anything else, maybe browsers favorite list?)

And I have never purchased any app from app store. But let's assume I do that. Will I be able to make a copy for safety reasons from that app or download again using my login (email) and password currently being used in this ipad in the new one? Are there any risks of having to pay again for the same app?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You books, apps, videos and music that were purchased from App Store and iTunes are always available from those stores via your Apple ID, so you won't need to purchase them again so long as you use that Apple ID. App data and Photo Stream content are stored in iCloud and is restored when you restore a backup via iCloud. Many apps use iCloud to store content, which is why I always look for this feature when purchasing new apps.

You can always use a thrid party service, such as Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Sugar Sync, etc. to store any third-party content and restore that content in the event of new equipment.

OP
P

Perenista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case I have transferred from my old computer (let's call this PC "X") lots of ebooks. Will I be able to backup everything from Ibooks if I use iTunes in a new computer (called Z) that does not have any of the original files?

The reason I am asking it's because it seems that if I install iTunes in computer Z and try to open this ipad, it will not copy the ebooks to Z, but ask for computer X. That was my impression, I didn't actually attempt to do this, but I remember (maybe my memory is not so good) that when you open the ipad in a new PC and a new copy of iTunes (one that never read your ipad before), the files stored in it aren't displayed, because they cannot be found in the target computer. Are you guys following me?

Anyway, this full backup needs to be done in computer Z, and it needs to be every single ebook from the 23 GB. Currently I am unable to use computer X and some files were deleted from X anyway.

My objective is to do a full backup for my hard drive, C:/

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your impression is right, your iPad is meant to sync to only one computer. There's a way to use another one, though.

However, if you purchased your ebooks in the store (from iBooks - Store), you will always be able to find them in the Purchased tab there. As ardchoille said before, the apps, ebooks (iBook app), ... are connected to your Apple ID. When you delete an app, you're always able to reinstall it. You will go to App Store - Purchased, find it there and download it again. Your iBooks can be found in iBooks (app) - Store - Purchased, and you can download them again to your library.

Last edited:
OP
P

Perenista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would happen if I plug this ipad in computer Z and not X? Will my files vanish from Ibooks? Since computer Z is brand new, so is iTunes. (Computer X = the files used to sync with this ipad).

I don't understand this concept of syncing. I mean, I do, but I remember in the past we were able to open a device such as a CAMERA as a removable one and copy the files stored in it. Let's say ipad is F:/ so Windows will just find the FOLDER from Ibooks and all files are going to be stored inside, so you can just copy to your computer C:/

I usually do that with my devices. But in this case, what is the right procedure/method? Remember computer X can't be used and some files were lost so if I can't get them out of this ipad, they are restricted to it, and once the ipad dies, they are gone, too.

I couldn't find the answer for this question anywhere.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What would happen if I plug this ipad in computer Z and not X? Will my files vanish from Ibooks? Since computer Z is brand new, so is iTunes. (Computer X = the files used to sync with this ipad).

I don't understand this concept of syncing. I mean, I do, but I remember in the past we were able to open a device such as a CAMERA as a removable one and copy the files stored in it. Let's say ipad is F:/ so Windows will just find the FOLDER from Ibooks and all files are going to be stored inside, so you can just copy to your computer C:/

I usually do that with my devices. But in this case, what is the right procedure/method? Remember computer X can't be used and some files were lost so if I can't get them out of this ipad, they are restricted to it, and once the ipad dies, they are gone, too.

I couldn't find the answer for this question anywhere.

Unfortunately, you cannot transfer those books from iBooks to the new computer using iTunes. See the last line in the Apple support page link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1209. It says you cannot transfer non-iTunes purchase books.

Do note that this page shows you all the media you can transfer to a new computer using iTunes.

To move your books to the new computer, you will need to find a third party program [you will install it on your computer]. There are a lot out there that purport to be able to do this; it's just a matter of finding one that will work for you. Two that come to my mind are iFunBox and iExplorer, though I don't know how well they work on a non-jail broken iPad...

Yes, you can transfer pictures and videos from an iPad to a computer - but only from the Photos app/camera roll. It's the way Apple has designed the iPad/iTunes interaction. Sorry.

But - I hope this helps .... a bit. :)

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With files, you mean PDF files, I suppose.

iBooks will give you the possibility to send emails with these files included. If you have a second email account, open the file you want to transfer to your computer, tap the arrow (button near "Library"), then choose "Email" and sent it to your other account. Then you're able to open the file on your email account/computer and save it there.

Disadvantage: you have to send them one by one.

Last edited:
OP
P

Perenista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A. that would be a great way to do this if were not for some PDF files only offering me the alternative to print the ebook, not to send an email. If I were to guess, Ibooks cannot send huge files. For example, some PDFs are encyclopedias with over 100 MB while others have 1, 2 MB and in those you will have this option. Have you ever tried to send a huge PDF this way? Or maybe it's reading my email provider settings and recognizing what can be sent and what not as attachment?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A. that would be a great way to do this if were not for some PDF files only offering me the alternative to print the ebook, not to send an email. If I were to guess, Ibooks cannot send huge files. For example, some PDFs are encyclopedias with over 100 MB while others have 1, 2 MB and you will have this opton. Have you ever tried to send a huge PDF this way? Or maybe it's reading my email provider settings and recognizing what can be sent and what not as attachment?

The only PDF file I've saved to iBooks is the iPad user guide. Maybe more than 130 pages (19.1 MB) are not that much. I got the option to send it as email.
I don't save files to iBooks. I use Dropbox, SkyDrive or even my Kindle app to store them there. This way I'm able to access them from everywhere.

Last edited:
OP
P

Perenista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can make a full backup elsewhere, but the reason I am storing in this ipad is because I want immediate access to that same ebook. Of course no one should use an ipad or any other physical device solely for backup (currently I use Internet Archive for that). But unfortunatelly some PDFs can't be sent by email, God knows why. I'll see what I can do to retrieve the big ones, thanks for your advices.

Most reactions

Latest posts