What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probs with backspace key

magsmag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if it's called backspace.....it's the key with the cross, next to the P key. When i use it, instead of going back one letter it deletes about seven......although this doesn't happen every time.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has a 'time delay' on it. To begin with it deletes a letter at a time then, after a few seconds, it deletes a word at a time in order to expedite the deletion process.

It's a 'feature'!!

Tim

OP
M

magsmag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crumbs.....I never knew it was a feature. Do you have to hold it longer for it to do this....ie.....delete words?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you 'tap' it, then it's a letter at a time.

If you 'hold' it, then - for the first second or so - it's a letter at a time, then it automatically switches to a word at a time...

Not tried it much longer - maybe it switches to a paragraph at a time later...:(

Tim

OP
M

magsmag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the answer...but here's another thing that annoys me. If I make a mistake....I can't put the cursor in front of the letter I want to adjust. It goes to the end of the word if you know what I
Mean...do you understand what I'm on about? Can you delete a letter in the middle of a word?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
magsmag said:
Ok thanks for the answer...but here's another thing that annoys me. If I make a mistake....I can't put the cursor in front of the letter I want to adjust. It goes to the end of the word if you know what I
Mean...do you understand what I'm on about? Can you delete a letter in the middle of a word?

Touch and hold the word and a small magnifying glass will appear with the cursor in it, slide or roll (I find this easier) your finger to place the cursor at the required place......it may take a little getting used to.

The Archangel

OP
M

magsmag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok Gabriel...tried it....very quickly, it worked! I'm just shocked I understood and followed your instructions. I normally get into a pickle ...thankyou very much x x x x x x x x

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
magsmag said:
Ok Gabriel...tried it....very quickly, it worked! I'm just shocked I understood and followed your instructions. I normally get into a pickle ...thankyou very much x x x x x x x x

I'm shocked I managed to give a clear solution!

Glad it worked.

The Archangel

OP
M

magsmag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to bore you folks....but this backspace key is playing up. I only just give it a quick tap and it will wipe out a whole line. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not holding it...just a quick tap.....and it doesn't do it every time....just sometimes.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edit......thankfully i have been put right by my fellow mods, first of all you should try the method in this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430 if it doesn't work then try this, hold the home and on/off buttons together until you see the Apple logo, then release and allow the iPad to restart under it's own steam.....this may all take a little while. Then see if the problem is cured.

The Archangel

Last edited:

Fastreader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the clear info here on the back space key! I am new to Apple keyboards and couldn't work out what I was doing wrong! Even the bloke at the Apple store gave me the wrong info and insisted that the delete key was it! So now I am sorted! THANK YOU!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The X key does NOT go back to the right only to the left!!!

That is true. There is no [frontwards] Delete key on the iPad, only a Backspace key. You just have to place the cursor "just so" and then only go to the left.

One of the many quirks of Apple's iPad keyboard...

Marilyn

Most reactions