What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting From Left To Right

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometime My iPad 2 has a hard time connecting to finger touch commands. Is it possible to delete letters from left to right, instead of always right to left as it's usually done with the backspace x? When it's being finicky, I'd like that option.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess you've tried touching and holding an area of text until the pop up magnifying glass appears, and then you can easily move the cursor to wherever you want to. Then you can 'drag' the vertical blue bars at either end of whatever you've selected too, to enable a greater range of text to be selected.

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for responding to my question. Yes, I can do all that, but as I mentioned, sometimes my iPad isn't responsive as it should be. I'll struggle for sometime, while the cursor refuses to land where it should. I'd like the same option of deleting either direction as I have with my desktop. I can sometimes get around this problem by enlarging my screen, but some apps screens don't allow this enlargement function.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - there is no other way to delete from left to right, most people use the magnifying glass to enlarge the text and, as I mentioned, move the cursor that way. Of course, the other option is to use an external keyboard; I use a folding Bluetooth keyboard that allows cursor movements without recourse to touching the screen.

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim. It gives me peace of mind to I know I'm not just missing something that would make my life a lot easier. I can stop looking for it.

BTW, I just noticed you're in Scotland. I love Scotland! I read a lot about your country's history. We spent a month touring over there (I'm in U.S.A.), stayed in Borthwick Castle for awhile. I always wondered why I'd be walking somewhere and suddenly find myself going in the opposite direction. That's when I'd notice it, honest to goodness bagpipes playing off at a distance. Doing some genealogy research brought me to my Scots ancestor I never knew I had. I guess he's in my genes more than I knew. LOL.

While we were up there, the Rail lost 800 pieces of luggage! Lucky for us it wasn't any of ours. We traveled light with only carry-ons. We left Scotland to return home, and they still hadn't found any of the missing luggage. Last thing, on the way back to Gatwick Airport, someone leaped onto the tracks. Needless to say that sad event had them stopping everything and re-routing us 2-hours out of our way and then back. I'll say this, there was never a dull moment while we were there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed your time here!! I live in the North East of Scotland - the Glens area - in a remote rural area (so I'm lucky to have broadband!), about half way between Aberdeen (East Coast) and Inverness. I've been here since 1985 so I've got used to the weather (nearly always bad but, hey, you don't come to Scotland to get a sun tan!! Aberdeen has a beautiful beach but it's so cold it's never warm enough to swim or sunbathe. In fact, about ten years ago we unusually did have an exceptional summer and people were sunbathing on Aberdeen beach. It was such an unusual event it made it as the headlines of the Aberdeen local paper!).

I hope you get the chance to come back again!!

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm laughing, because it rained practically the entire time we were there. When a Scots couple we were with said Scotland doesn't get any more rain in inches than England does, I pointed out that at least England gets it in heavy intervals, while Scotland just drizzles constantly!

I wanted to make it up to Culloden Moor, where the last battle for independence was made, but never made it. I'm hoping to go back some day and finally get there. It's funny about my ancestor. I can see he has between 1.3 and 1.4 million dollars and then suddenly it's gone. Makes me wonder what in the world happened to it all. Some of my other ancestors from Holland came over on the second ship that sailed over to settle Pennsylvania, when William Penn was setting up his colony, so I'd like to make it over there too.

You never said where you came from to settle in Scotland.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was born in the UK - near Birmingham, but I've moved around in the UK all my life (though I've spent a lot of time in the US, primarily on the West Coast in Silicon Valley).

This year, I heard on the radio the other day, Scotland has had the wettest summer since 1817....:(

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, yes. We spent time in London, the countryside, and also Wales. Traveled all over, hit most all the castles we could, LOL, typical tourists. I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful time we had, best I've ever had on holiday and ever expect to have. :). I assume you took classes while over here in the Valley.

I don't mind saying I'm glad to have missed the big rain! LOL. We also missed the Military Tattoo, couldn't believe it. Missed it by one day! I was outraged by our poor planning on that one. I just didn't know there was such an event. You know how remote the U.S. is from worldly events that don't come knocking on our door.

It was great talking to you. Thanks for your help on the delete function. Wish you'd had better news, but at least I don't have to keep wondering.

Most reactions

Latest posts