What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Ipad 1 and Itunes

PamC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but I am new to this site and not sure where to post the problem I have. I have an Ipad l which I cant update on windows 7, having tried to see if the device shows up on the computer I found that I had an empty device manager??. Having tried everything that everyone elsewhere as suggested to correct this problem on Windows 7....still nothing. I last updated the Ipad 1 at the end of October. I am worried now because I am getting an Ipad mini for Christmas........how do I go about updating this and also transfering any music,pictures, films etc. I also have another computer running windows 7, but I believe I can't use this to connect my Ipad or Ipad mini?. I have followed instructions on Apple regarding uninstalling Itunes and all components, and re-installing the lastest Itunes but still can't connect my Ipad. Nothing shows up at all on Itunes and when I check on the computer where the portable drives show up there's nothing there either. I am at my wits end to know what to do now, do hope you can give me some advice or tell me the appropriate forum to go on. :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Pam.

Unfortunately, what I think you have here is a computer problem, not an iPad problem. With that "empty device manager" issue, you've got a mis-behaving computer.

So, here's my recommendation. Give up on that computer (or take it to a repair shop to make it "better" - what's wrong with it is way beyond my understanding). Then, use this article to transfer the iTunes on that computer to the other computer you mentioned having:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Once that iTunes (with all its "stuff") is on the new computer, you should be able to connect the iPad1 to it as if it were the original computer. Well, at least that's how it worked for me when I moved my iTunes from an old PC to my new one.

That's the best I can think of at the moment. I'm sorry that I can't help more.

Marilyn

OP
P

PamC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn

Thanks for your advice, will try what you suggest (fingers crossed it works for me). Haven't a clue why the Device manager should have disappeared it was working fine when I updated the Ipad in October. At least I know there are people on here willing to help.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts