What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing to PDF?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's iWorks app for the iPad 'Pages' can do this - as can their other apps, 'Keynote' and 'Numbers'.

Tim

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try PDF PROvider. It turns web pages, photos, email attachments to .pdf. I'm pretty happy with it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To convert a web page to PDF in Safari you can use a 'bookmarklet' - a small piece of Javascript that will convert the web page to PDF.

Just create a blank bookmark and enter the text below - in its entirety - in the place where the URL normally goes.

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(sometimes, when I paste this bookmarklet into iPad Forum a spurious space gets inserted in the 'http' part of the bookmarklet. It shouldn't be there so, if you see it, you'll have to edit it out.

Now, when you want to convert a webpage to PDF, simply surf to the page you want to convert and select the above bookmarklet. Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll then be able to save it in iBooks or another compatible app.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a slightly roundabout way, iAnnotate can create PDF documents out of Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents. It's a new experimental feature of iAnnotate (one you have to turn on within the app).

The easiest way is to have a document either in Dropbox or e-mailed to you. Select the "Open In..." feature to open the document in iAnnotate (note that you must have already turned on the experimental feature first - in iAnnotate's settings).

When iAnnotate opens, it'll automatically open the file as a vector PDF - you can write, highlight, add notes, etc. on it. Then, when you are done, you can e-mail it as a PDF, either back to yourself or to Dropbox as an attachment (iAnnotate is working on the ability to send the altered file back up to Dropbox). Oh, and you can e-mail the original file as a PDF with no markups, an editable PDF or one that's flattened (changes are "baked in"). Regardless, you would then have a PDF document.

It sounds a bit complicated at first, but it is much easier than it sounds (or how I describe it). In addition, iAnnotate does have an internal web browser, so you can download files that way, also.

I like this feature of iAnnotate and think it's a great way to mark up .doc(x), .xlx(s) and .ppt(x) files - along with PDFs! Also, it's a great way to create PDFs out of these types of files. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, FingerPrint (for Mac or PC) and Printopia (Mac) have the option of printing to a folder on the computer instead of actually printing. The resulting file is a PDF.

These run on your computer, and you must be on the same network.

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Also, FingerPrint (for Mac or PC) and Printopia (Mac) have the option of printing to a folder on the computer instead of actually printing. The resulting file is a PDF.

These run on your computer, and you must be on the same network.

Printopia rocks! So much simpler than apps like Print'n share, print magic or print central pro. Those are good maybe if you're at a customer site, but I struggle with trying to get them to work. I'd love to hear from anyone who was able to consistently make those apps print!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PrintCentral and FingerPrint all the time. I've never had any problem with PrintCentral - but I was lucky in that I didn't update my version of PrintCentral, when they removed (under instructions from Apple) the ability to support in-app printing through undocumented APIs.

Tim

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I use PrintCentral and FingerPrint all the time. I've never had any problem with PrintCentral - but I was lucky in that I didn't update my version of PrintCentral, when they removed (under instructions from Apple) the ability to support in-app printing through undocumented APIs.

Tim

Sometimes Apple maes me so mad, like trying to exercise exclusivity even if users are hobbled by their marketing decisions! In app printing is exactly what draws me to Prinopia.

OP
TheFinnster

TheFinnster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for delay, but I was off grid for a while. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll give them a couple a spin and see where I land.

Most reactions

Latest posts