What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing problem-text tiny & illegible

SalG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad new 4 years ago . I added the latest iOS update last week and since then, when I print a document or email, it is reduced to 1/12 of an A4 page and is too small to read.

If i print a photo from the photo app, it comes out full sized , as normal.

There have been no changes to our printer , which is an HP officejet 8500 A910 and our other computer is unaffected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What app(s) are you printing from? Are you using the built in AirPrint, or some other print app?

I probably don’t have an answer, but maybe a few more details will suggest something.

Also, if you have not done so recently, restart the iPad and printer. Be sure you actually shut the iPad off, not just turn the screen dark. Hold the power key down until you see the slide to power off slider, and slide it off.

Good luck.

OP
S

SalG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What app(s) are you printing from? Are you using the built in AirPrint, or some other print app?

I probably don’t have an answer, but maybe a few more details will suggest something.

Also, if you have not done so recently, restart the iPad and printer. Be sure you actually shut the iPad off, not just turn the screen dark. Hold the power key down until you see the slide to power off slider, and slide it off.

Good luck.

OP
S

SalG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply.
We shut down the printer and the iPad then restarted them a number of times , but it didn’t work. So we downloaded an app called Printer Pro and that is working well.
Your advice helped us think through the problem a bit further and we really appreciate it.
Kind regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I also have Printer Pro. While AirPrint is what I normally use, because it’s usually easier, I switch to Printer Pro when I need an extra feature or AirPrint isn’t availble in an app.

Also, I have several apps from Readdle, and Printer Pro is supported directly in some of those apps; most notabley Documents.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but perhaps you can answer me this.I’ve recently downloaded the full version of Printer Pro after the test came back ok for my HP5540, but I cannot seem to find any mention of double-sided printing, which is available in AirPrint.
Have I just missed it somewhere or is it just not there?

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, I don’t have the option either, and my printer does have double sided capapbility. Another reason I normally use AirPrint.

On the other hand AirPrint won’t let me print multipage or change the orientation. Which is why I keep both.

You could try contacting Readdle and see what they have to say on the subject.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did actually pre-empt your answer, and took the liberty to fire off a mail to Readdle asking the question. I agree that there are a load more options than the standard AirPrint, but with double-sided in Printer Pro, that could be a clincher.
I’ll come back when I’ve had a reply.

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, do a search for your printer manufacutrer and/or model in the App Store.

These apps sometimes offer more access to your printer’s features than the genric AirPrint or Printer Pro. On the other hand they are usually harder to use, with more hoops to jump through and slipshod UIs.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve had a reply from Readdle, which I enclose here,

“Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologise for the delay in replying. We are quite overloaded these days.
Let me kindly inform you that the current version of Printer Pro doesn't have an option for duplex printing. Nevertheless, I've added your request to our wish list as it is in a vast demand among our users. If it is added, we will follow up with you.
Even though there's no control for duplex in the app, you may still try sending document and printing them duplex. For this just make sure the duplex is set as default.

Please feel free to contact us anytime.

Best regards,

Kate Murtazaieva,
Readdle Support Team.”

Interesting to hear that this feature is in ‘vast demand’, so here’s hoping that it can be implemented in the near future.

Steve

Most reactions

Latest posts