iPad Printing Solution - Portable Printer Needed

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 4phun, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 4phun

4phun iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a desire to be able to print from the iPad to a portable printer. I would like to keep the cost down as I aim to keep the printer in my car. I do not wan to fund some urban lizard's drug habit by giving them something they could get hundreds for by breaking a window and stealing.

I prefer not to have to use a power inverter to power the printer but I have one good for 100 watts AC.

I prefer wireless G/N but blue-tooth would work.

Has anyone figured out a solution?

--

Look at this announcement from a couple of days ago.

HP Offer iPad Printing Solution

08 June, 2010, by James Cullimore

Hewlett-Packard has unveiled a new feature for its all-in-one printer line, allowing users to to print emails and documents from any device with access to the internet.

HP ePrint will allow users of the iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry smartphones to wirelessly print documents even if the devices themselves come with no support for a printer. Users will be also able to print from their PCs or Macs.

Speaking at the Internet Week New York event, the head of HP's printing division Vyomesh J Joshi explained: "We know that our customers want an easy way to print their content anywhere, anytime. We're making that a reality today by giving people the power to print from any web-connected device - smartphones, iPads, netbooks and more - to any printer in our portfolio above $99. The world has changed."

He claimed that the ePrint will be as fast as printing locally and has been possible since the evolution of Web 2.0 and cloud applications and services.

--

What ideas do you have that we could try?

PM if necessary.

4phun:)
  2. mrkrabs

mrkrabs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. keithwhite

keithwhite iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a solution ... I've been happily printing for a while from my iPad to my battery-operated HP H470 with absolutely no wires (and no router / pre-existing WiFi connection - it operates in AdHoc mode). Literally just the iPad and the H470 - in fact, one time in a marquee in the middle of a muddy field with no power and a long way from the nearest WiFi connection, so it can be done from literally anywhere.

I also couldn't find any info on a true mobile printing solution for iPad (or iPhone/iPod for that matter) but felt sure it must be possible, somehow - so once I'd sorted it all out, I wrote down the solution and the steps to get it to work in the hope of helping others:

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/search/label/iPad Printing

Hope that's helpful!

Thanks,

Keith
  4. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Keith,

Thank you for posting this information about the 470 mobile printer. I have one and have been trying to determine how it might be done. I have a laptop with the AirPrint addon software module, but that's a pain in itsself. I'll have to obtain the dongle and give that a try.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. mhorvatic

mhorvatic iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0