What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printer apps

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only one i have tried is print central but you have to install an app on your computer if you don't have a wifi printer.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a horrible time with ActivePrint... probably because I don't have a Mac...

All I want is something that can talk to Windows standard network printing... I guess it doesn't quite exist yet. On WM it is so easy... JetCet for example works great, printing directly from my WM phone to any Windows network printer. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent in the iPhone/iPad world...

The next best thing might be apps that can talk IP/LPR. That's fine for printers that are directly on the network but not fine for those that are attached to a server...

Suggestions welcome... as long as they don't involve a Mac, nor emailing, nor too much nonsense on a PC (there really should be no need for anything on any particular computer -- the iPad should be smart enough to talk directly to *standard* print servers on the network...)

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
after a less than thorough search, it appears that the Eurosmartz printing apps would probably be the best for my situation, ie PrintCentral and its cousins. AirShare is the right idea I think but it only works with a Mac network. Mostly its crazy that printing isnt builtin to IOS so that every app could have a hook/option for printing... as it is, practically none do. This is such an obvious and serious hole in the ipad as a tablet that Im sure competitors will exploit... at least as big as the multitasking hole...

tpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air share works with Windows, as long as you install Bonjour. It's free from Apple.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried installing Bonjour... it was horrible and couldnt find any of my printers. The Apple forum on Bonjour is full of posts with similar problems. It all seems like unnecessary bloatware...

If Apple is going to try to offer Windows software, it should at least attempt to follow Windows standards... every other piece of Windows software has no problem finding network-available printers...

Most reactions

Latest posts