What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help connecting to a wireless printer

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! I just got a Canon MP495 wireless printer and hooked it up through my laptop, but now my Ipad will not detect it. I looked around and saw I might need to buy the 'Print N Share' app for $8.99 to make it work. I also saw the Ipad might not be in sync with all printers out there. Do I need to buy another app just to print and if I do, how do I know for sure it will work?

Can anybody help me along in this?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Badkelly - welcome to the forum! :)

You have a number of options printing from the iPad (assume that you have an iPad 2 and possibly updated to iOS 5 - if not please clarify?): 1) use AirPrint - Apple's Wi-Fi option for compatible printers (not sure if yours is included - please read the manual - likely your easiest choice); 2) use a third party program such as you suggest in your OP; unfortunately Print N Share does not seem to be supported in iOS 5 if that is the version on your iPad.

My solution using an older Canon Pixma MP printer is a program called FingerPrint (CHECK HERE) - requires putting the program on your iPad & also a 'free' little program on your computer (visit their website for an explanation); I used this app when my iPad was running iOS 4.x and after upgrading to iOS 5, the program still works fine. So, if you new printer does not offer Air Print, then give FingerPrint a try - good luck & please post back your experience! :)

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just looked at the printer on Canon's site and it does not appear to be AirPrint enabled. I don't use printn'share so I can't comment on that, however there is a program out there called fingerprint (not an app) that will run on a Mac or PC that will allow you to print to any printers on your network. I am using it on my home system to access three printers and it works great. It is not free ($10) but you can D/L the free 30 day trial and try it out on your system before you buy.

OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have version 4.3.5; is that the latest? i just got the ipad a couple of months ago and the printer just yesterday. i don't mind ponying up for an app that will allow me to print from the ipad, just want to make sure it will work before i do so

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like Giradman is a faster typer than me. IOS 5 is the latest version and fingerprint works with your version and the latest one.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i have version 4.3.5; is that the latest? i just got the ipad a couple of months ago and the printer just yesterday. i don't mind ponying up for an app that will allow me to print from the ipad, just want to make sure it will work before i do so

Hello again Badkelly - appears that several of us were posting to your OP at the same time; first, if your Canon printer is not compatible w/ AirPrint, as suggested, then you'll have to explore my second suggestion, i.e. AirPrint or another compatible app.

However, I would suggest that you upgrade to iOS 5 on your iPad - will be an eventual must - and as I already stated, my iPad after this upgrade has worked fine w/ AirPrint on my printer - so good luck in these considerations, and again please post back since others may find the information useful - :)

OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay, it looks like the newest version for my ipad came available to me around the middle of october, so i'm hooked up to itunes and updating now. i may have to continue tomorrow as i'm leaving for work here in a little while, but thanks for all the information! i'll post as i progress on this.

OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay, i am updated to version 5.0 on the ipad and went to the collobos software site to download the trial version of fingerprint and it said that safari could not download the file. i researched a little more and according to this post: http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/32284-fingerprint-airprint-your-computer.html you need to load it on your pc and have nothing on the ipad.....then you should be able to see it on the ipad itself? i'm at work currently and will try it tomorrow when i get home, but it looks like that the printers will simply show up as options and you can select the printer, number of pages, and so on.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yea thats right it just installs on the PC, once it's running when you select print your printer(s) will appear in the list and you just select which one you want, remember this is accessing the printer through your PC and not directly to the printer so your PC must be on in order for you to access it.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also try the free CAnon Easy photo print app.May help you out.

OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, i downloaded fingerprint to the laptop and i now have four options when i go to print something: 1) send to PC 2) mp495 printer 3) mp495 printer 4) microsoft xps document.

yes, the printer is listed 2 times in that, but when i select any one of them, nothing happens. i've done it several times and only once in there it popped up a window that said something to the effect that it was printing. it's just kinda sitting there. is there a way to check progress of jobs in the printing que?

Last edited:
OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i tried printing a note first time, then i went to an email and tried to print that. once it said something like 'sending to printer' but nothing happened. i brought up the printer queue from the laptop and it says it's online but with no jobs pending.

i brought up the fingerprint window on the laptop and there were two mp495 options, one of which i unchecked, and now on the ipad i have three options: 1) open on PC 2) mp495 printer 3) microsoft xps document.

any ideas?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Badkelly - I'm 'chiming in again' - :)

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble w/ using FingerPrint - I would suggest just simplifying your setup, i.e. just installed on the computer that is attached to your printer, then give that a try - that is all that I've done and worked fine in either iOS4 or the newer iOS5 - not sure what else to recommend? You might want to contact the people at Colobos Software for further suggestions? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
badkelly

badkelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but the printer isn't attached to anything....it's upstairs by itself sitting next to the router. all i have accessing the printer is the laptop and the ipad. we'll see. i'll try it again tomorrow when i have more time and call them, like you said.

thanks for the help, guys!

Most reactions

Latest posts