What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power button/backlight button not working! Help Please!

Schultzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The button on top of my ipad will power down the ipad when I hold it, but when I push it to shut screen off or lock it, it won't work! Is there a setting I am missing that can fix this or should I take it to an apple store? If someone could let me know that would be fantastic! Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The button on top of my ipad will power down the ipad when I hold it, but when I push it to shut screen off or lock it, it won't work! Is there a setting I am missing that can fix this or should I take it to an apple store? If someone could let me know that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Hi, welcome to iPF!

You can't really fix a problem like this, and there are no settings to get it working again, as far as I know.
There are a few workarounds that will lock your screen without the Power button:
You're able to set a time so that the display turns off by itself in Settings - General - Auto Lock.
You can enable Assistive Touch to lock the screen in Settings - General - Accessibility - Physical & Motor - Assistive Touch. Then tap the button that's appearing in one of your iPad's corners, choose "Device"

image-3739277234.jpg

image-3978179858.jpg
Then lock the screen.

Sometimes resetting the iPad solves problems: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears.

If your iPad's warranty hasn't expired yet, it's certainly a good idea to visit the next Apple Store.

Most reactions

Latest posts