What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to transfer files using iCloud?

Payne750

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, is it possible if I were to send some pdf files from my ipad to a friend's ipad via iCloud? I know that dropbox is one solution but would like to know if its possible to use iCloud instead...

Thanks in advance and have a great Xmas...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. iCloud does not have this generic ability at this time. Use Dropbox and its public folder to share files with someone else on a limited basis, or a second Dropbox account just for file sharing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use the GoodReader app, you can save files to its iCloud folder (if you've enabled it) and and generate shared links for emailing. It's a fairly recent addition to GoodReader's features.

The process is kind of convoluted, but works.

First you have to get the file into GoodReader and copy it to the iCloud folder. There are a multitude of ways to do this.

Then you go to the iCloud folder, choose Manage Files from the right column, select the file, and tap the Publish button. This generates an email with the link in it. You can either use this email or copy and paste the link to some other app. It's not a direct link, but one of the secure style ones that does not show the file name. Because of that it won't work to upload stuff to sites.

When you receive the email and click on the link it opens a browser, goes to iCloud.com, and downloads the file. This works fairly well for a computer, but is less convenient on an iOS device. Strangely this aspect of icloud.com does work in Safari on the iPad, but because it does the download in Safari it has all the inherent awkwardness of doing downloads in Safari on the iPad.

OP
P

Payne750

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...thank you guys...will try either way...thank you again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I only brought up GoodReader to show it is possible. DropBox is by far the better solution for file sharing, at least for now.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was not able to get the Goodreader iCloud external link to work for sharing a file with someone outside my own iCloud account, so I have not yet recommended it. I think there are still some quirks here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OH. Thanks for sharing that. I have no way of testing other than sending things to myself. Though I suppose I could annoy random non-tech friends. ;)

creiapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Save to Cloud" is specially developed for Apple's iCloud. Simple and Powerful. You can zip files in iCloud and send to your friend in one go.

Most reactions

Latest posts