What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading Docs from Pages to Dropbox (or any other way...)

Sviatapolk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it really not possible to upload docs created with Pages on the iPad to Dropbox?

I would be fine with another solution. Bi woud have thought there would be a send to iCloud button now but there isn't

I know I can email the files, but it seems I can email them only one a a time. I work with too many docs to do this.

Short of this, I'm prepared to ditch pages in favor of a word processor that works with Dropbox if anyone can recommend one. I'm a PC not a Mac person, so as it stands now there's no word processor app that faithfully renders PC word docs on an iPad. So I'll take what's best for now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use Box.com, mostly. It can be accessed using the WebDAV import/export options. Unfortunately their free account doesn't have a computer side client, so access on the computer is through a web browser.

If you need/want to use DropBox there is a round about way. SMEStorage is a cloud account aggregator. That means you can add several accounts like Box or DropBox to that account, and access them in the same place. The key here is that unlike DropBox SMEStorage has WebDAV.

SMEStorage's free account allows you to add up to two cloud accounts. However you'll probably want to spring for their $5 iSMEStorage app. Files added directly to DropBox will not update automatically on SMEStorage's site, so you'll need to open their app and force a refresh when you need a file that you did not add through their site.

Currently there is no perfect cloud service for iWorks, though I am keeping an eye on a new beta service called Cubby. If the the news so much as hints they'll have WebDAV, I'll be at the door begging for beta admission.

As for iCloud, you don't save files to iCloud, you sync them. In order to do this you must first turn on Documents & Data in your iCloud settings, then go to Settings for each of the iWorks apps and turn Use iCloud on there. The next time you open each iWorks app it will go through a syncing process to copy your files to iCloud. You access them on the computer by going to icloud.com in a browser.

This works fairly well, but will increase the start up time for each iWorks app. They will insists on trying to check in with iCloud for updates before it will display your documents each time they start.

OP
S

Sviatapolk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well this is silly, given that other apps like iannotate integrate so well with dropbox.

Can someone suggest an alternative to Pages that would work with dropbox. Preferably free, or cheap. Formatting doesn't have to be too advanced, but I'll like to be able to open up docs in MS Word on a PC with a relatively accurate rendering.

lasllcap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sviatapolk said:
Well this is silly, given that other apps like iannotate integrate so well with dropbox.

Can someone suggest an alternative to Pages that would work with dropbox. Preferably free, or cheap. Formatting doesn't have to be too advanced, but I'll like to be able to open up docs in MS Word on a PC with a relatively accurate rendering.

Well, my PO is that "free or cheap" you get what you pay for, however, OpenOffice perhaps or QuickOffice HD combined with MS word. In my line of work I need MS office in the field and access to all of my documents. Works great with virtually no formatting variances. It is not perfect, but what is in a mix of Apple and heathen systems.

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OpenOffice Writer works on both Windows and OSX but there is no iPad version. I routinely switch documents back and forth to work on using whichever computer I happen to be sitting at and have never had any trouble. Since OpenOffice is user developed, I keep hoping they will release an iPad version.

lasllcap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sviatapolk said:
So quick office pro is good and worth he money?

I think so. I use ms word and Exel exclusively and it is seamless; well, not exactly as QO has its own quirks but for me they are minor and easily dealt with. What did it for me was that the formatting is virtually unchanged; QO cannot deal with real complex formulas and does not do findif but there are work arounds. I have never used OpenOffice but have used (I cant think of it right now but it is the other popular *run MS Office on Apple* app.) it problem was it trashed all my formatting and most of the formulas. the bottom line is that with QO wht you put in Dropbox is what you se on the PC and what Office puts in dropBox is what you see on Pad.

OP
S

Sviatapolk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My concern (if I'm going to attempt to use the iPad as a laptop replacement) is that I can open up a word doc created on a PC on the iPad, edit it, and then open it up on the PC afterwards with no loss of formatting or content.
I'm in academia so the typical word doc I use, has times new roman 12pt font for text double spaced, 10pt font single spaced with narrow margins for block quotes, and standard word footnotes - single spaced 10pt font.
I can't afford to edit a large doc and then have to hunt down some sort of formatting glitch caused by the back and forth between apps and OSs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Documents to Go has/had the reputation for being the most compatible (least change to formatting). It's been a while since I've seen a side-by-side review of them all. The other popular choices are QuickOffice and Office HD.

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My concern (if I'm going to attempt to use the iPad as a laptop replacement) is that I can open up a word doc created on a PC on the iPad, edit it, and then open it up on the PC afterwards with no loss of formatting or content. ...
Believe me when I say that you do not want to use the iPad as a laptop replacement. If you don't like the size of laptops, you would still be better off with a MacBook Air. I have experimented with word processing on the iPad and it is almost totally useless, even when using a wireless keyboard!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazing so many are using it for word processing--with my small BT Apple keyboard I'm happy, tho' YMMV. Articles for print are being generated, people are bringing in docs, editing them and syncing back to Dropbox. Cheap would be Office HD but it won't automatically sync with Dropbox. It is integrated with Dropbox but you have to save a new copy. I'm using Quickoffice but for just docs I like Phraseology too.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
twerppoet said:
I use Box.com, mostly. It can be accessed using the WebDAV import/export options. Unfortunately their free account doesn't have a computer side client, so access on the computer is through a web browser.

Thanks for the WebDAV info, truly helps to have an expert writing here!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Expert is just a title that you get for making over a certain number of posts. I've learned most of what I share right here. You could say the forum constitutes a sort of collective expert. If you stick around and read long enough you'll be the expert.

I kind of like the title Wizard better, but all things come to a pass. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts