What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to have virus on ipad?

MaryAnnBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this is an ipad question, but I downloaded a game from iTunes for my grandson. Within hours, I googled something and immediately got a redirect to an unauthorized site (not good). I immediately deleted the game thinking that was the problem. So my question is....should I be worried that there is a virus on my ipad? Nothing has happened since that first redirect.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if this is an ipad question, but I downloaded a game from iTunes for my grandson. Within hours, I googled something and immediately got a redirect to an unauthorized site (not good). I immediately deleted the game thinking that was the problem. So my question is....should I be worried that there is a virus on my ipad? Nothing has happened since that first redirect.

Due to the way iOS is designed (app-centric vs. file-centric) getting a virus is almost impossible. Were you using Safari when this re-direct occurred?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi MaryAnn.... - welcome to the forum! :) There are no known viruses that can infect the iPad - Apple's approval process for allowing apps to be sold in their store is stringent, plus the device's iOS is 'sandboxed' meaning that apps are contained w/i their own space (think of a prison cell). Also keep in mind that malware comes in many forms (viruses, worms, trojan horses, browser hijacks/re-directions/etc.) - a virus is a type of malware that can replicated itself and spread to other files - just not possible in the stock iPad.

As already stated, the game downloaded re-directed you to another site - deletion should be enough. Interestingly, I was searching the web in response to your question and found THIS LINK about an app game called 'Simply Find It' which contain a harmless Trojan Horse, SO who knows what the future might bring - at the moment, you should be safe - BTW, what was the game you downloaded - just curious? Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

No I was using google.

That redirect is far more likely to have come from what you were Googling at the time, not from anything contained in the game you downloaded.

OP
M

MaryAnnBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi MaryAnn.... - welcome to the forum! :) There are no known viruses that can infect the iPad - Apple's approval process for allowing apps to be sold in their store is stringent, plus the device's iOS is 'sandboxed' meaning that apps are contained w/i their own space (think of a prison cell). Also keep in mind that malware comes in many forms (viruses, worms, trojan horses, browser hijacks/re-directions/etc.) - a virus is a type of malware that can replicated itself and spread to other files - just not possible in the stock iPad.

As already stated, the game downloaded re-directed you to another site - deletion should be enough. Interestingly, I was searching the web in response to your question and found THIS LINK about an app game called 'Simply Find It' which contain a harmless Trojan Horse, SO who knows what the future might bring - at the moment, you should be safe - BTW, what was the game you downloaded - just curious? Dave

The game was Squash the Insect by Smasher Free - listed for toddlers. I don't know for sure where the redirect came from, but I thought since I had just downloaded a game, that might be the cause.

OP
M

MaryAnnBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That redirect is far more likely to have come from what you were Googling at the time, not from anything contained in the game you downloaded.

It was a search for Pinterest projects gone wrong. That's it.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

This thread may interest you, Twerppoet's post in particular.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-mini-forum/111649-new-ipad-virus.html

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is already an iPad virus? Oh eh geeeeeeeee. I thought Apple doesnt have any virus. eeeeeek :O

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I can assume that there really is no need for virus protection on an iPad, or any tablet for that matter.
Android and Windows tablet computers would have need of virus protection. A Windows tablet would be subject to the same viruses as a Windows PC.

Most reactions

Latest posts