Portable printer?

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by Nonnanoni, May 24, 2011.

1. Nonnanoni

Nonnanoni iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like a printer I can use directly with my iPad when away from home. I would like it to not be wifi dependent because it is not always available. Any good ideas?
    I bought the HP Envy but it was way too heavy and sent it back. They said there are no alternatives, but I find it hard to believe.
    Thanks

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,810 / 1
    As far as I know, given your requirements, 'they' are right. There is no way to plug a printer into the iPad, and there is no support for a bluetooth printer (rare beast).

The closest you could come would be to carry a portable router or 3G hotspot and one of the Airprint printers. I haven't looked though all the models, but my first impression is that none of them are designed to be portable.

iOS: AirPrint 101

3. keithwhite

keithwhite iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a way ... I've been happily printing for a while from my iPad to my battery-operated HP H470 with absolutely no wires (and no router / pre-existing WiFi connection - it operates in AdHoc mode). Literally just the iPad and the H470 - in fact, one time in a marquee in the middle of a muddy field with no power and a long way from the nearest WiFi connection, so it can be done from literally anywhere.

I also couldn't find any info on a true mobile printing solution for iPad (or iPhone/iPod for that matter) but felt sure it must be possible, somehow - so once I'd sorted it all out, I wrote down the solution and the steps to get it to work in the hope of helping others:

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/search/label/iPad Printing

Hope that's useful to someone!

Thanks,

Keith