What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Portable printer?

Nonnanoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like a printer I can use directly with my iPad when away from home. I would like it to not be wifi dependent because it is not always available. Any good ideas?
I bought the HP Envy but it was way too heavy and sent it back. They said there are no alternatives, but I find it hard to believe.
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as I know, given your requirements, 'they' are right. There is no way to plug a printer into the iPad, and there is no support for a bluetooth printer (rare beast).

The closest you could come would be to carry a portable router or 3G hotspot and one of the Airprint printers. I haven't looked though all the models, but my first impression is that none of them are designed to be portable.

iOS: AirPrint 101

keithwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like a printer I can use directly with my iPad when away from home. I would like it to not be wifi dependent because it is not always available. Any good ideas?
I bought the HP Envy but it was way too heavy and sent it back. They said there are no alternatives, but I find it hard to believe.
Thanks

There is a way ... I've been happily printing for a while from my iPad to my battery-operated HP H470 with absolutely no wires (and no router / pre-existing WiFi connection - it operates in AdHoc mode). Literally just the iPad and the H470 - in fact, one time in a marquee in the middle of a muddy field with no power and a long way from the nearest WiFi connection, so it can be done from literally anywhere.

I also couldn't find any info on a true mobile printing solution for iPad (or iPhone/iPod for that matter) but felt sure it must be possible, somehow - so once I'd sorted it all out, I wrote down the solution and the steps to get it to work in the hope of helping others:

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/search/label/iPad Printing

Hope that's useful to someone!

Thanks,

Keith

Most reactions

Latest posts